Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: WATCH DUIN TODAY.

#106 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 5:28 am

John I'll bet you remember the shops in Comberton Road. There was Williams Bike shop. That was great apart from selling bikes and spares Mr Williams also repaired them. They also sold records (Mrs Williams was very knowledgeable).
There was a newsagent (he was a miserable sod) a Green Grocers, A co-op shop, a hairdressers and one or two more I can't remember. at the top (left hand end ) The stood the Pub, The King of Bohemia. although this I think appeared in the very late sixties or early seventies.
All these businesses have now disappeared, the flats have been demolished and the area (part of the Chestnuts estate) is looking very run down. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#107 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 5:44 am

Morning Graham,
Do you remember the entrance to the flats behind the shops, my mates flat was over that.
Looking very dull and iffy again here, just going for a morning stroll after my first coffee.

signman

#108 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 5:52 am

Good morning to you young John,I do remember, all that has gone now along I suspect with most people who lived there.
It looks like being a dodgy day here too. Enjoy you stroll. I would rather have a stroll around Brighton in the morning than round here.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#109 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 9:34 am

A couple of shots from my morning stroll, like I said not looking very promising weatherwise, wanna buy a sewing machine, this is a clothes shop.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#110 by Voltman , Sun May 09, 2010 1:15 pm

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#111 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm

VM yes that is what was left of the building that was the KIng of Bohemia, If I remember rightly it opened around 1969 give or take a year. I was sent up there one day by our District Manager Howard Bolton to run the place for a while after the manager had, had a Heart attack.
Not sure if the manager in question was Roy Bygrave, who previously ran the (old) Red Lion in Acocks Green, or Graham Greenaway.
Graham and Tess Greenaway moved from The king of Bohemia to the Fox hollies. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#112 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Had a lovely weekend at the caravan.Saturday cold but we nipped in and out of the shops,especially the junk shops cus we both have a strong urge to buy junk LOL.

Caught up with old friends and enjoyed some sunshine today.

#113 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Denise

Glad you had a nice time, It's been pretty cold though. How much time has your move added on to your journey to the van. Is this your first visit this year?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#114 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Second Phil,it is about another 20 miles cus I go toll m42 M5............not long about another twenty mins.........to half an hour.There is prob a better route but I stick to what I know....poor logic but I get stressed when I don't know where I am going.

#115 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Denise

That seems perfectly logical to me, I always use the M6 toll rather than the M6 itself to get past Wolverhampton. I remember a job we had on the Scotland's estate at the back of Wolverhampton and because I had to be on site every day I had to drive that stretch every day for 8 months. It nearly drove me bananas.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#116 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 9:03 pm

I have never driven a Banana !!!!!!!!!!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#117 by Deleted User , Sun May 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Must admit the toll is a godsend but pricey though.I hate that route up past the golf course.The last time I drove that it rained so heavy there were flash floods and it was dark.

The HGVs are up your bumper and have no regard for the speed limit.

#118 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Advice: to anyone with HGVs up your bumper...Ralgex is good.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#119 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am

I used to drive a 40ft artic and have never been up anyones bumper.

signman

#120 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 10, 2010 7:48 pm

No you would probably have painted a picture on it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Community Pubs

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor