Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OUR MEMORIES OF GROWING UP

#61 by Slow Jo , Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Two more things i recall do any of you remember british rail having horse and carts,they delivered and collected big items to go by rail ,there stable yard was i think it's called pitsford hill,in icknield street under the railway bridge and left turn up a steep hill the old cobbled road use to be bad for horses ,so they had a little truck called the tug the horses waited under the bridges down it came hooked up the cart in front of the horse took them up the hill doing all the pulling the horse just had to walk up ,no slipping easy for them. Also as a kid in the war every sunday morning tanks made at saltley carriage works came up villa road,under there own power it was a must to go and watch the tanks go by,on there to icknield street goods yard,off to where they were needed.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#62 by astoness , Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 pm

jo i think it was at the top end of pitsfords st where the horses were stabled...its called hockley port and funny you should mention this as i was that way about 4 years ago taking photos of the old stables...would you like me to post you a couple of pics

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#63 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #61
Two more things i recall do any of you remember british rail having horse and carts,they delivered and collected big items to go by rail ,there stable yard was i think it's called pitsford hill,in icknield street under the railway bridge and left turn up a steep hill the old cobbled road use to be bad for horses ,so they had a little truck called the tug the horses waited under the bridges down it came hooked up the cart in front of the horse took them up the hill doing all the pulling the horse just had to walk up ,no slipping easy for them. Also as a kid in the war every sunday morning tanks made at saltley carriage works came up villa road,under there own power it was a must to go and watch the tanks go by,on there to icknield street goods yard,off to where they were needed.

Joe just a thought. It wouldn't have been British rail in those days, or even British Railways. They were not nationalised until 1948 so it was probably LMS or GWR railways. Graham

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
I would Agree with you but then we would both be wrong wouldn't we.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#64 by Brookieboy , Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Slow Jo and Sheldonboy
Fancy bringing up about the Railway horses, This opening you're talking about was in All Saints Street and belonged to 'Gods Wonderful Railway' (G.W.R) it was in this opening that I was run over by car,fortunately (or unfortunately) it stopped on my foot, I believe I was on the way to All Saints School, just along the way, I was only five years of age possibly my first day of going to school. My father worked at the goods yard in Pitsford Street. As I used to live in that area it brought back great memories, not that I have ever forgotten my childhood in that area.
Brookieboy

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy
Date registered 05.21.2013

Last edited 11.04.2013 | Top

#65 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

I thought it would have had to have been one or the other. The great Western Railway was probably one of the smartest in the world.
This is one of their early engines.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#66 by astoness , Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:07 pm

just posting some pics for jo of what i think was the goods yard in pitsford st showing the old stables known as hockley port so im not sure if i am right but its situated at the very top of pitsford st.. i took these 4 years back..may interest you as well norm..

lyn

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#67 by astoness , Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

pic 2

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#68 by astoness , Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

pic 3

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#69 by Voltman , Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #58
Quote: Voltman wrote in post #53
Regarding the batteries, the rechargeable was a 2v lead acid cell and the multi terminal battery was an Ever Ready dry battery centred around 90v.
I have some old portable wireless sets that use these voltages, the 2v for these would have been a dry cell of course for obvious reasons.
As 90v in battery power is rather expensive these days I had to build a dual voltage power supply to power them.

The chap in this 1959 Phyllis Nicklin photograph is carrying just such a portable wireless.

Ok Volty brilliant but how the hell did you find a picture with this guy carrying one of these radios.

I was harvesting all her photo's from the web, and as I have had an empty case for one of these wirelesses since I was eight it stood out above all else as something I knew from those days.
My grandfather gave me the case. I first used it to store components in then built a crystal set into it followed by a number of projects, the last being an electronic organ similar to a Stylophone.
Since then I have acquired a couple of working versions of this particular wireless.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 11.04.2013 | Top

#70 by astoness , Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 am

how good that you have a couple of old wireless cases volty....nice bit of history to keep..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#71 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:27 am

Quote: astoness wrote in post #70
how good that you have a couple of old wireless cases volty....nice bit of history to keep..

Lyn, volty keeps old radio's because he doesn't like the programmes on the new ones.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#72 by astoness , Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #71
Quote: astoness wrote in post #70

Lyn, volty keeps old radio's because he doesn't like the programmes on the new ones.

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#73 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 am

You may laugh, Volty even bought a black and white Dog because he thought the licence was cheaper.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#74 by astoness , Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #73
You may laugh, Volty even bought a black and white Dog because he thought the licence was cheaper.

ha ha very good..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#75 by mikejee , Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 am

Quote: astoness wrote in post #74
Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #73

ha ha very good..

Surely he also kept it in a cupboard, as he thought that if you could only hear it then it would not cost any thing

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor