Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OUR MEMORIES OF GROWING UP

#46 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Jo my earliest memory is the Coronation party in the garden of The St Bernards Grange pub in Barrows Lane Yardley. I was born in July 1950 so I was very young but I can still see the tables, the bunting etc such a long time ago now.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
I would Agree with you but then we would both be wrong wouldn't we.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 09.28.2013 | Top

#47 by Slow Jo , Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I remember during the war half the buses in hockley depot were parked in handsworth park ,in case the depot was bombed ,mom use to take us up the park some afternoons but not allowed near them ,It was near to torture for a little lad .

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Last edited 09.28.2013 | Top

#48 by Slow Jo , Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:51 am

Returning to this site hope no one minds.Really going back about 60 years now,the old radios before television use to work on a rechargeable battery called an accumalator,this was like a small car battery,as it ran down i had to take it to a shop in villa road to get it charged up it cost 3 old pence in old money then, but it was very heavy for a kid. Do any of our senior members remember them days.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#49 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:02 pm

That's great Jo, but don't worry how far back you go its fascinating.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#50 by Slow Jo , Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 pm

When i was not even at school,just about remember a woman delivering milk in a horse and two wheeled trap ,it was in churns she had a ladle with a very long handle mom had a big jug,one ladel was half pint.that takes me back to carefree days of childhood.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#51 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Amazin Joe the only horse drawn vehicle I remember was the old Rag and Bone man and yes we actually got a Goldfish.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#52 by mikejee , Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Not in Birmingham, but in Sussex, I can remember taking accumulators back for recharging. I can also remember a later radio, or it may have been the same one, that used a large battery with a lot of terminals, and you got the right voltage for the valves by connecting them across the correct terminals.
As regards horses, below is a picture I took in Watery Lane around 1970, of a what looks like a horse collecting spare wheels for his masters car.
Slightly later, in the mid 1970s, when i lived in Beeston in Leeds, there was a local removal firm that used a horse- drawn removal van in the area (quite a big one, it needed several horses).

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 11.01.2013 | Top

#53 by Voltman , Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:47 am

Regarding the batteries, the rechargeable was a 2v lead acid cell and the multi terminal battery was an Ever Ready dry battery centred around 90v.
I have some old portable wireless sets that use these voltages, the 2v for these would have been a dry cell of course for obvious reasons.
As 90v in battery power is rather expensive these days I had to build a dual voltage power supply to power them.

The chap in this 1959 Phyllis Nicklin photograph is carrying just such a portable wireless.
[[File:Nicklin, Phyllis (1959) Bull Ring, Birmingham - 1st image.jpg|none|auto]]

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 11.04.2013 | Top

#54 by astoness , Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #50
When i was not even at school,just about remember a woman delivering milk in a horse and two wheeled trap ,it was in churns she had a ladle with a very long handle mom had a big jug,one ladel was half pint.that takes me back to carefree days of childhood.

wow great memories jo...

mike thats a cracking pic...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#55 by Brookieboy , Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi All,

Who remembers 'Monday night at eight' and Valential Dyall's 'The man in Black' on the Radio (Sorry) Wireless.
Brookieboy

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy
Date registered 05.21.2013

#56 by astoness , Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Quote: Brookieboy wrote in post #55
Hi All,

Who remembers 'Monday night at eight' and Valential Dyall's 'The man in Black' on the Radio (Sorry) Wireless.
Brookieboy

sorry norm i dont remember that...i do remember listening to mrs dales diary and the archers..i was born in our nans back to back and lived there until i was 5 but she always had these programmes on and of course when i was older i used to visit her and sometimes have sunday dinner..pretty sure it was sunday that the archers was broadcast..happy days..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#57 by Pam Keeling , Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #54
Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #50
When i was not even at school, just about remember a woman delivering milk in a horse and two wheeled trap, it was in churns she had a ladle with a very long handle mom had a big jug, one ladle was half pint. That takes me back to carefree days of childhood.

wow great memories jo...

mike thats a cracking pic...

My brother in law Bill Motteram was the last man to drive a horse and cart milkround out of vauxhall dairies. He actually passed his driving test on it back in the late fifties

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

Last edited 11.04.2013 | Top

#58 by Sheldonboy , Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #53
Regarding the batteries, the rechargeable was a 2v lead acid cell and the multi terminal battery was an Ever Ready dry battery centred around 90v.
I have some old portable wireless sets that use these voltages, the 2v for these would have been a dry cell of course for obvious reasons.
As 90v in battery power is rather expensive these days I had to build a dual voltage power supply to power them.

The chap in this 1959 Phyllis Nicklin photograph is carrying just such a portable wireless.

Ok Volty brilliant but how the hell did you find a picture with this guy carrying one of these radios.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#59 by Sheldonboy , Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #52
Not in Birmingham, but in Sussex, I can remember taking accumulators back for recharging. I can also remember a later radio, or it may have been the same one, that used a large battery with a lot of terminals, and you got the right voltage for the valves by connecting them across the correct terminals.
As regards horses, below is a picture I took in Watery Lane around 1970, of a what looks like a horse collecting spare wheels for his masters car.
Slightly later, in the mid 1970s, when i lived in Beeston in Leeds, there was a local removal firm that used a horse- drawn removal van in the area (quite a big one, it needed several horses).

Great picture mike that's just how I remember the Rag and Bone man, with of course rags hanging off both sides and the back. he was a useful bloke, no charity shops in those days.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#60 by Slow Jo , Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

First bike i ever had was of the back of a horse drawn rag and bone cart,i knocked him down to one and six ,in old money because it had no tyre or inner tube on the frontwheel. my dad put half towards it,and i had to earn the other half odd jobs.I loved that little old bike,must have rode it miles.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor