Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Another smack in the eye for Brummies

#31 by astoness , Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:19 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #30
I should point out that the stories are not my own.
I grew up with the stories but not the experiences. I don't remember air raids or trams but I do remember steam trains.

love steam trains volty...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by Slow Jo , Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:12 pm

We went swimming with the school to Grove Lane baths Handsworth, I could not swim and was pushed in the deep end ,it turned me right off. I eventually learned when I was nearly 35 but not at Grove Lane. I think all kids should learn to swim, one day it could save their life.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Last edited 09.03.2013 | Top

#33 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Hi Jo, I wonder how many kids were put off swimming by Bullying classmates.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#34 by Voltman , Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I had a bad experience as a kid and so didn't learn to swim unil I was 40. When I worked in baths I always clung to the walls as I walked round the pools.
When I was about 7 I went to Stechford baths on the weekly school trip, we were supposed to be doing the kicking thing whilst holding onto the side of the pool, I got brave and went walkabout in the middle, until I got kicked by another kid and went down. I sat on the bottom for a while looking up and seeing all the splashing, the sounds were a bit strange and the whole thing was quite surreal. Then the teachers and lifeguards pulled me out and emptied all the water out of my lungs. It put me right off water.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#35 by astoness , Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:26 am

very similar to you volty...we went to Victoria road swimming baths (now demolished) and we were doing the kicking thing and we were told to let go of the bar...well i just was not ready for that but the teacher thought different so as she walked along the line she put her foot on my head and pushed me under..that done it for me...never been in a swimming baths since although i know i should have....of course teachers wouldnt get away with that sort of thing now but back then anything went...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#36 by Pam Keeling , Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 am

I lived across the road from Nechells baths. I had a swimming pass and spent every single day there. I would come out with my eyes red raw and stinging from the chlorine and my dad would go mad at me. On Sunday morning we would all troop over the road for the washing baths as we had no bathroom at home only a tin bath. I remember being thrown in once and at that time couldn't swim. I was dragged out with the big hook on a pole. I decided there and then to learn to swim. I also swam for my school and did the birmingham schools galas at Woodcock street

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#37 by tca , Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks all, Woodcock street, as soon as I saw the post I remembered, like many of your posts I learnt to swim after being thrown in, for me it was at Gt Yarmouth in the summer holidays, they had peddle boats that you peddled around a sort of artificial river, after being dunked, I went to Yarmouth pool every day and learnt to swim, once home I realised that going to the pool and becoming a fair diver impressed the girls, particularly when I dived off the 10mtr level - so it all worked out rather well LOL

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#38 by Pam Keeling , Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Quote: tca wrote in post #37
thanks all woodcock street as soon as I saw the post i remembered, like many of your posts I learnt to swim after being thrown in, for me it was at gt yarmouth in the summer holidays, they had peddle boats that you peddled around a sort of artifical river, after being dunked, i went to yarmouth pool every day and leart to swim, once home I realised that going to tthe pool and becoming a fair diver impressed the girsl particular when i dived of the 10mtr level - so it all worked out rather well LOL

That boating lake and the pedaloes are still there

Pam Keeling

#39 by tca , Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I would expect nothing less, I went 8 years ago, each time I come back I spend a lot of time around the coast, Weston Super Mare, Weymouth, Torquay, Poole, Blackpool, Margate, Ramsgate, Yarmouth, nothing much ever seems to change it's a bit of a time warp. Oxford is much the same as it was when I left in 1973, minor modifications to the city centre but not much. The upside is it reminds me of being young, the downside is it apears no progress has been made in over 40 years.

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#40 by Pam Keeling , Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Totally agree. We always went to rhyl for our holidays. If you go now the front has changed but the back streets seem the same.

Pam Keeling

#41 by Sheldonboy , Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 am

I don't know if its been done up, but we passed through Rhyl on the way to Llandudno a few years ago, the fair looked like it was only fit for demolition.
Llandudno on the other hand was a lovely place, very well kept.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor