Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

They Have Got To Be Joking

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:55 pm

I cannot believe with all of the good and great people that have been part of and come from this city that we get a story like this. Two things I know that the Police are very concerned about in this country and Birmingham in particular are Terrorism and Racism. I am not an advocate of either but this story is absolutely ridiculous in my view and in some quarters will inflame both.
For one thing this Statue is supposed to show the importance of families so where are their husbands. Slap in the centre of Birmingham in front of that obscenity of a so called library this is a kick in the nuts to the people who build this fine city. The Asian community have a fine reputation for family spirit I couldn't argue with that. The English community funnily enough also has a fine family heritage, this would be found many in generations going back to William the Conqueror. Why not turn St Philips Cathederal into a Mosque or Swap the CBSO for a Bhangra band. SB
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23854738

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 09.08.2013 | Top

RE: THEY HAVE GOT TO BE BLOODY JOKING

#2 by astoness , Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm

read it and NO COMMENT..well actually i do have somthing to say which ive said many many times...if birmingham city council had half a brain they would be dangerous.

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.27.2013 | Top

#3 by mikejee , Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:10 pm

If I may be allowed to say it, not being a Brummie myself, I've no personal objection to the choice of people, though I can see why many would object. My objection would be to the enormous waste of money on the whole project. It is a vague arty project , the subject being picked by all of NINE judges, many of which probably live in Solihull , Banbury or London.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 08.27.2013 | Top

#4 by astoness , Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:25 pm

good points raised there mike..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by Sheldonboy , Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:41 am

What I would like to know is who were the original four families and were they cosen or did they apply, and who were the nine judges. And what was the criteria.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#6 by astoness , Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #5
What I would like to know is who were the original four families and were they cosen or did they apply, and who were the nine judges. And what was the criteria.

too late to wonder now SB..as with many birmingham projects we never know about them until they are signed..sealed and almost delivered...the publics views do not count...take the new library for instance...i have always thought that there should have been 3 designs produced and offered up to the public vote...as to this latest statue idea and considering where they intend to put it i would much rather they have chosen a family who have some old black and whites of their rellies taken during the war years when family life was so hard and loss of life so high...everyone pulled together and families stayed strong...to me thats what it should be all about..but this is just my thoughts on it...if that had happened i would have been the first one to go and take pics of the new statue...as for the one chosen i wouldnt waste the bus fare on it..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by Voltman , Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:39 am

I don't believe we need a statue to show the face of Birmingham, we just have to look around us.
What we see is what we are.

I see no mention of council involvement, it looks like a private project, so more fool the morons who finance it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 08.28.2013 | Top

#8 by mikejee , Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:10 pm

If you go to http://www.ikon-gallery.co.uk/programme/...mingham_family/ , that gives a link toi the original 4 families. It also says that the project was supported by (I assume that means funded by) Birmingham city council and the BBC. I'm normally very supportive of the BBC, apart from their unfortunate desire to devote so much time to sport, but here must definitely be a case for a real waste of money (for the city council as well as they are always saying they are having to cut back)

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#9 by tca , Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:55 pm

well I guess bham is living up to its name the black country oooh bit low, If you can remember back to the 60s enocj powells rivers of blood speech, not far off in these days of terrorism, 1970 australia had the white australia policy, that did it for me

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#10 by astoness , Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by mikejee , Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm

I'd still like to know how many of them actually live in birmingham (as opposed to solihull etc). I would guess probably half at the most

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor