Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: BIRMINGHAM BANDS NOT FORGOTTON

#17 by Voltman , Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Look at this then SB,

This is Magnum's drummer Kex Gorin.
See the poster behind his head?

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#18 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 pm

I think that is in the Railway VM

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Another over rated venue, If I am honest I thought it was a dump. I think I only ever went there twice and one of those times was during the day a long time before they started doing music there.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm

Phil somehow I can't see you in the Railway watching Rock Bands on a Friday night. What you have to realise is these bands needed to gain experience, they couldn't practice at the NEC. Also it's all these kids could afford. Believe me the Atmosphere, Music and audiences all fitted together to make for a great cheap evening. It may not have been to your taste mate. But these kids wouldn't have gone near your grab a granny nights at the Tower and the West End. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:59 pm

And that is exactly why there were more grannies for me to grab. I actually did used go to the grab a Grannie night at the Tower. You seem to know a lot about it.

SB if I was going out to listen to a band or an artiste then I would choose a more comfortable venue. Like La Dolce Vita, The Cresta, The Night Out or even Kings. If I was pushed I would even go to the Town Hall or the Odeon.

But these clubs and disco full of spotty young kids who got drunk on half a pint of shandy and ended up staggering about were not for me.

I started my night out about 6 p.m. on a Friday and it finished at 6.a.m on Monday.

Make Love, Not War

phil

#22 by Voltman , Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Yes SB, I thought that. The poster shows parts of names.

I'm embarrased to mention how much I enjoyed being there, now that Phil has been in and trashed the joint. Again.

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#23 by Voltman , Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:16 am

Smee Again,

I just won't be happy until you lot have looked at a couple of weblinks which I discovered tonight.
I know you've seen them before but I hadn't.

http://www.mikesheridan.org.uk/

http://www.brumbeat.net/alexspie.htm

VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 03.26.2010 | Top

#24 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 am

Phil of course I know all about the grab a granny nights at the Tower, we used to read about them in the Mail at school for current affairs homework. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

RE: Birmingham Bands, Not Forgotten

#25 by Voltman , Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:40 am

Back to Spitfire,

The poster must say :
Roger Hill
Bob Cately
Nick Pentelow

The poster to the right is for Rainmaker.

As I recall you used to turn out the odd poster did you not. SB?

VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 09.24.2013 | Top

#26 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:00 am

One or two VM

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#27 by Voltman , Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 am

SB, I thought I would see what is happening with the Railway and discovered a couple of things.

Firstly this was supposed to be going on in October 2009, but I can't tell if it did.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/birmingham/b...am_fringe.shtml

Then I Google walked it and found it's gone. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...,352.82,,0,3.77

And a bit before our time
Also found this probate report which tied in with what I had just read in Kelly's 1880.

STERRY William Effects under 3,000 pounds

29 November. Administration of the efffects of William Sterry late of Curzon-street Birmingham in the County of Birmingham in the Count of Warwick Licensed Victualler a Widower who died 14 November 1876 at Curzon-street was granted at Birmingham to William Wanwaring Sterry of the "Railway Hotel" Curzon-street Licensed Victualler the Son and one of the Next of Kin.

VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 am

A photo of the Railway just before its demise. I remember the Railway being built in the 60's it replaced a old mid 1800's Victorian House. That I never got the chance to use. I see from the look of the photo that it looks like it had a touch of the closed pub syndrome (arson attack.)

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#29 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

Van Morrison is rubbish, but he now has the most talented girl in the country joined his band, this girl is fantastic, and also great eye candy,
just watch this video and all the others on youtube of Sarah Jory.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W763C5JxzE

signman

#30 by Voltman , Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:17 pm

Thanks Phil,

Now I don't think it has been usable for quite some time, even the grass has been allowed to grow since it was demolished.
The factory behind appears to have gone, I hadn't noticed that, what I have noticed is the old building at the top of Cardigan Street is getting knocked down bit by bit.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Birmingham's Night Clubs

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor