Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Meriden

#16 by PJ , Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Phil, Its always a bit dodgy new owners raising prices to old customers. So you were in ground works and demolition, I worked for M V Kelly for a time, Vince Kelly the boss was still at the helm then, he's retired now to Galway, I'm told breeding horses.
I heard they quickly downsized before the crash, some said they had gone bust but there still out there on small builds. The demolition game is so efficient now, the plant goes on site and its crushed and sorted into recycled hardcore ready to be bagged if you want it.

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:36 pm

PJ

You are so right about the demolition game, at one time all you needed to set up in the game was a couple of sledgehammers and an old 4 in 1 drott. Now they are talking in millions of pounds for the plant & vehicles alone.

Its like everything one the big boys start to move in, you either have to keep up with them or get out. I remember when you would do a demolition job for next to nothing. The money was made out of the hard core and the other reclaimed materials.

I thought it was quite funny when after years of using crushed brick they discovered that chemicals in the mortar that was used to lay them originally was reacting with the ready mix concrete that was laid on the crushed brick and cracking it up. That increased the sales of m.o.t. one for a while.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#18 by PJ , Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Paul,
We used to bike it down to Alvechurch and Hopwood to fish the canals there .I used to live by the cut in Charlotte St, but no fish, just old prams dead cats and such,. Jumping forward to now, the canals in town are full of fish, some big carp and golden orf, so some things have changed for the better, that gives me an idea. I'll start a new topic, "What Things Have Changed For The Better" mmmm I'm newish to this probably make a hash of it, but I'll have a go.
PJ

PJ  
PJ
Date registered 12.27.2009

RE: Erdington/Witton

#19 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:07 pm

PJ I suppose you grew up eating lots of fish. ?????

Oh sorry you said you were Newish I missread yor post.

If all else fails Read the instructions

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. Carl Gustav Jung

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#20 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Denise

were you still living in Meriden would you be doing your bit in this protest camp?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#21 by Deleted User , Wed May 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Protest...........I was amazed,the parish council there is all wind and nought else.

They managed to flog the playing field and let the builders build another one in an unsuitable location.More houses for the rich and bugger the poor.....scuse my french.

#22 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 am

Denise

So OK you didn't see eye to eye with the Parish Council, but do you agree with what the travellers are doing?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#23 by Deleted User , Thu May 20, 2010 9:38 am

No we should all have to follow the same rules.

I think if people are pinning any hopes on the parish council they will be let down

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am

Denise

In the final analysis it's not down to the parish council is it? It's down to the planning department and if they let the travellers get away with this there will be little settlements popping up everywhere all over the village.

I might even pop out myself and buy a bit of agricultural land myself at a couple of grand an acre and build myself a town.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#25 by Deleted User , Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 am

Well yes you are right but I always use to feel they did not represent the feelings of the villagers enough to solihull council.I feel they all like to sit in each others pockets.

They stopped us from having bonfires on our allotment........crazy.

Also had to point out to them that the keeping of rabbits and chickens is allowed under the allotmet act as they tried to stop that too.

Anyway to the point....................we own a few acres at malvern link and have been trying for years to get planning permission...............maybe it will happen but I doubt it.Perhaps we should just ride roughshod and see what happens.

#26 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 am

Denise

Over forty years ago a mate of mine asked me to go in with him when he bought a few acres out on the outskirts of Birmingham, I never bothered. He still keeps a few sheep on it and is no closer now to getting planning permission than he was then.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#27 by Deleted User , Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 am

I think it may happen but not in our lifetime....we keep them to pass on the kids and maybe the Grandkids may get something for them in the long distant future.

We were left them in a will from a family member.

Last edited Thu May 20, 2010 12:01 pm | Top

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Denise

I suppose it is as good an investment as anything else today.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#29 by Sheldonboy , Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:26 am

Posted by phil
Denise

In the final analysis it's not down to the parish council is it? It's down to the planning department and if they let the travellers get away with this there will be little settlements popping up everywhere all over the village.

I might even pop out myself and buy a bit of agricultural land myself at a couple of grand an acre and build myself a town.

Phil

As we have found out on our Residents Forum
Planning permission is granted-or not in Bristol. If anything is refused, it is almost always passed on appeal. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#30 by Voltman , Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Bristol, old chap?

“If a man nows he wil soner or later be robed upon a jorny, he wil hav a botle of the bst in evry in and look on all his extrvagncs as so much ganed uon the thevs.”
Robert Louis Stevenson.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer] http://telsen.co.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Lozells

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor