Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#301 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Phil I am sure there was a Davenports pub, it may have been Bath Row.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#302 by astoness , Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:41 pm

nice pics winkle and you rant away if you want...the great british pub is not what it used to be...far too many yuppie eating places and wine bars not many left now where the working class man and woman can go to straight after work and feel comfortable..never see darts or dominoes being played these days and the big screen tvs are ruining the art of conversation... yes its progress but you can stick it for me...there now ive had a rant..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#303 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:42 pm

SB

I have given you the names of all the pubs on Holloway Head & Bath Row and I don't think any of them were Davenports houses at any time that I can remember.

phil

#304 by astoness , Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:53 pm

phil this is a new one to me...have you seen it before..came accross it earlier..

the golden lion that was at digbeth until it was moved to cannon hill park in i think 1919 ish...dated 1933

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#305 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Lyn

No I haven't seen that photo before, the Golden Lion was moved in 1911 by Birmingham Archaeological Society to its present site in Cannon Hill Park. Prior to that it stood in Deritend from c1500. In my opinion it should be rebuilt in Deritend alongside the Old Crown and Stratford House should be moved there as well. Along with the old Lloyds Bank the old Lending Library and the old Italian church all restored to their former glory it would make quite a tourist centre. Anybody got a few million pounds to invest?

phil

#306 by astoness , Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:12 pm

its a cracking pic phil..ta for the info..wernt far out was i...there was talk last year of bringing the pub back to deritend but lets not be silly...not much chance of it happening..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#307 by Karen Williams , Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Winkle,
Do you have any later pictures please that you mentioned that you could post of the Richmond folk. I was talking to my dad the weekend and he mentioned someone called Dick who used to be involved with the Bowling Club at the Richmond? Can you remember what year Syd Vernon passed away? Was it 1962 or 1968?
Kind Regards
Karen

Karen Williams  
Karen Williams
Date registered 08.15.2012

#308 by winkle , Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Quote: Karen Williams wrote in post #307
Hi Winkle,
Do you have any later pictures please that you mentioned that you could post of the Richmond folk. I was talking to my dad the weekend and he mentioned someone called Dick who used to be involved with the Bowling Club at the Richmond? Can you remember what year Syd Vernon passed away? Was it 1962 or 1968?
Kind Regards
Karen

Hi Kate

Well now, I have no idea when Syd went, but I'm sure it was after 1962. I started work at QEH in 1960, and I remember visting him in one of the Wards with another bowler pal who also worked there, circa 1962, but I don't remember him pegging out round that time. Sorry. I know his eldest son John Married one of the Knights family who lived opposite at No 79 Richmond Rd, but we had no contact. He was a General in the Boy's Brigade with all the trimmings. I was chucked out of the Cubs for fighting...we would not have got on...Mrs Knight reported us to the RSPCA for leaving Andy, our terrorist dog, out all day to chase busses (The no 36 was his favourite), and anyone with a rolled up newspaper. When they 'came round' they took one look and went off killing themselves with laughter...he was the original Butcher's dog...

The pics are from the early 80s and the gaffer (Carl Thingummy) is the swarthy Daley Thompson lookalike with dodgy moustache, whom your dad may remember...he went off to the Bromford after us. The prevoius gaffer to him went to the Temple Bar in Lower Temple Street. Can't remember any memorable bowling 'Dick', but then we had over 80 members...

[[File:Richmond BC Lol Rose.jpg|none|auto]][[File:Richmond BC with Carl et al.jpg|none|auto]]

winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

#309 by winkle , Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:21 am

Does anyone know if this old place on the corner behind the shuttering was a Pub? It's not marked as such on the enclosed 1888 map, but it LOOKS as if it was from the windows and door entrance...

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle

#310 by mikejee , Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Immediately before demolition it was Southall Bros & Barclay , chemical apparatus manufacturers.They were there from about 1896. Before that no 1 Broad St does not seem to be listed

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#311 by winkle , Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #310
Immediately before demolition it was Southall Bros & Barclay , chemical apparatus manufacturers.They were there from about 1896. Before that no 1 Broad St does not seem to be listed

Cheers Mike. Star man. So, another for interest...is THIS a Pub (again with a Lamp) on Paradise Street corner in 1910, or what?

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle

#312 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Isn't that the old canal wharf offices?

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:02 pm | Top

#313 by winkle , Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #312
Isn't that the old canal wharf offices?

Err yes, of course...the ?PUB is just showing on the right of the picture, A Big Lamp outside the next building up from Bellamy's on the opposite corner to the Canal Offices. I just wondered if it was an old boozer is all...lovely photo too though...

winkle  
winkle

#314 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Sorry Winkle, but I thought that was just some more fancy street lighting. I don't think there was ever a pub there, I think it was always a confectioners. It was still one when this was taken in 1938.

Attached pictures:
phil

#315 by winkle , Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:03 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #314
Sorry Winkle, but I thought that was just some more fancy street lighting. I don't think there was ever a pub there, I think it was always a confectioners. It was still one when this was taken in 1938.

Yeah but...if you look at the Map I posted with the pic in No 309, there is an INN marked almost where that big lamp might be (pushing it). Admittedly it was in 1888, but it's also marked PH on the 1901 Map. Any ideas?

winkle  
winkle

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor