Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Harry Ramsdens To Close

#1 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 am

Harry Ramsdens first Chippy to close, has anyone been there was it any good,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15949876

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.07.2014 | Top

RE: Harry Ramsdens to close

#2 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 am

I went in there a million years ago when it was a wooden hut, good fish and chips ,bread and butter,gingham tablecloths (pink) and good staff.
The one here in Brighton is run by poles,and eat-in fish and chips is £13.50, take-away £6.50, but still good value considering the portion size, in a box 14" long x 6" wide and full to the brim with chips and a huge piece of cod.

signman

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 am

John

I remember years ago going on a school trip somewhere and we stopped at the original Harry Ramsdens for a meal. I don't remember much about it as I was only about 7. I never ate a Harry Ramsdens again until I visited Brighton where I have to say I didn't find the food all that good.

They opened a branch in Sheldon in the 80's where the Good Companions pub used to be, but they didn't last that long before they closed down. The last time I heard it was some sort of a curry house.

Phil

phil

#4 by mikejee , Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 am

I went to the main Guiseley one a number of times over twenty years ago, and the fish and chips were out of this world, though a little expensive. I gather that the quality has gone down more recently and the price gone up considerably more than would be justified, which is presumably why they say it is losing money, as they have killed the golden haddock. Since then used some of their outreach branches some years ago and though htem good an dreasonable - far better than most southern emporia, but a few years ago tried a franchise branch that opened in reading and it wasn't so satisfactory
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5 by Sheldonboy , Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:46 am

I have sed the Sheldon Ramsdens, they also had. one in Touchwood Solihul you had your food on polystyrene plates with plastic cutlery as I remember. Both long gone. I wasn't impressed.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#6 by mikejee , Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Plastic cutlery !! Harry Ramsden would turn in his grave. The whole point of his original place was to make you feel you were eating in a really top class place ( or plaice) with chandeliers and carpets when most chippys would noy have even lino on the floors.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#7 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:46 pm

I went into the Sheldon one the first day it opened,I think within a week there was a public outcry over the smell from the air vents.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Trouble on HMS Belfast

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor