Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Maplin and Toys R Us

#1 by Voltman , Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm

Two famous companies bit the dust yesterday.

Although I haven't bought from Maplin for many years, because they were overpriced and I have access to cheaper trade suppliers, when I first went self employed I was always in Maplin Erdington buying electronic components and devices. I even opened a trade account with them but all they did was send me a catalogue where the prices didn't include VAT yet were the same as retail. I know of businesses in town who still pop out and get what they need immediately from Maplin, or at least they did until yesterday.
Perhaps electronics isn't the hobby it used to be, but when they moved into selling consumer stuff more associated with Amazon and PC World, but at much higher prices, I think they hammered home the first nail in their own coffin.

Toys R Us is an overstaffed toy shop. Everyone likes a toy shop. What people don't like is going out of their way to pay inflated prices whilst being teated as an inconvenience by an ignorant spotty herbert.
With almost every overstaffed supermarket having an aisle that looks like a cheap toy shop it must have made a big dent in Toys R Us sales.

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.01.2018 | Top

RE: Maplin and Toys R Us

#2 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 pm

PwC are the Administrators of Maplins. There are at least for a while keeping the stores and the Website trading. It has 200 stores and around 2500 staff.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Following on from Maplins and Toys are us. It's a pity more company's can't follow The Entertainer. It doesn't open on a Sunday because the Boss doesn't think they should.
This opening of shops on a Sunday can never be changed now, as it would be a religious notion we couldn't have it offending our other native religions now could we.?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 03.01.2018 | Top

#4 by Voltman , Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #2
PwC are the Administrators of Maplins. There are at least for a while keeping the stores and the Website trading. It has 200 stores and around 2500 staff.

They will keep it trading for as long as the administrator can continue to bleed it dry. Their accountants charge £500 per hour to administrate, even their lowest clerk is charged out at about £200.

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by mikejee , Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Yes, and they will make sure they get paid, even decent people who are owed money get nothing. And it was another crooked accountancy firm that signed off on the fraudulent accounts. For other companies it will be PWC who pass the crooked accounts, for a fee, and another firm who rakes in the cash from administration

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 03.04.2018 | Top

#6 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:06 pm

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bus In Snow Just Misses Sliding Car.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor