Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Stratford Upon Avon mop fair

#1 by mollymandysb , Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi all

tomorrow Tuesday and Wednesday is Stratford mop fair. I shall be going, have a ride on the carousel, have a candy floss, hot dog and a hot chocolate.

I love the sounds and smell of the fair, especially one that is held in the streets. brings back memories of my younger days in Stratford. we had Henley mop, then Stratford, then Warwick then the runaway mop, which then I think moved on to Moreton in Marsh. nice before the winter sets in.

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 10.14.2011 | Top

RE: stratford upon avon mop fair

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Steph

I don't think I have been to a Stratford Mop for a great number of years, certainly not since the 60's

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm

I worked in Stratford for3 years and never saw the mop.

signman

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:39 pm

To be quite honest, I didn't think they had them any more. You certainly don't see them advertised, well not around here anyway.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5 by Voltman , Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:12 pm

Well just how many mops can a person use?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#6 by mollymandysb , Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:18 pm

There used to be on 1st october the start of the mops, the Kings Norton mop, does that still exist? They used to have a pig roast on the green. Then there was the Alvechurch mop.

Studley, Alcester, Evesham, Stratford, Henley in Arden, Warwick, all have their mops every year.

I went last year to Stratford's runaway but it was nothing like it used to be. Will tell you all whether any good after I've been.

I used to work in Stratford whilst I was in 6th form at Henley in Arden high school in the 60s. I used to work at Woolworths as a Saturday girl, it was so cold there in the winter, does anyone remember Pargetters the cake/bread/pastie shop next door to Woolworths? I used to buy a hot pastie and eat it down by the river. I then went to work at JC Smiths the department store which is now Debenhams. I had my first pair of high heels (stilletos) and found it so difficult to walk to work from the railway station.

We could see the mop being put up in the main street outside Woolworths and then hear the noise of the fair throughout the day. I don't think it's as big as it used to be though. Then in the summer there was the carnival, our youth club had us dressed as tramps and I found it great travelling down on the train dressed like a tramp. Then there was the time when Screaming Lord Such stood in the bye election, all us teenagers were for him.

does any one remember the jazz festivals held at fulford hall in earlswood again in the 60s. we were dressed as beatniks then - omg i dress like that now.

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Last edited 10.13.2011 | Top

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Steph

I was at the Jazz Festival at Earlswood in the 60's and at the one that was a Lightwoods Park. In fact I was at any event of that kind especially if they were all nighters. Remember the all nighters they used to have at the Town Hall in Birmingham great times not easily forgotten.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by mollymandysb , Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:31 pm

just come back from stratford mop, it was as good as it has always been. very nice and warm.

those interested warwick mop is friday and saturday, with winchcombe next week and the stratford runaway.

phil, i used to live just up the road from fulford hall in earlswood, my step dad was an engine driver working out of tyseley so we had a company house by the railway station. you can guess how much it went for when it was sold.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
2010 St Patricks Day parade in Birmingham

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor