Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham Wholesale Market

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:08 pm

Another act of crass stupidity from Birmingham Council announced in todays Birmingham Mail. Birmingham Wholesale Market Traders have been told they have until February 2013 to find new premises. The closure of the present market in Pershore Street though not very old itself has been on the cards for a while and it is no surprise to the traders.

What is a surprise is though, originally Birmingham Council was going to fund the building of a new market, now traders have been told that although they will help in finding a new site there will be no funding toward the build. Does this mean we are going to loose this 800 year old market?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Birmingham Wholesale Market

#2 by Deleted User , Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:04 pm

All the old traditions are going Phil.

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:46 pm

I really can't understand this, are the council saying that the present market is not profitable. So therefore they don't want another such establishment landed around their necks. Or is it down to the cutbacks?

As I understand it the market at the moment is made up of 235 units, I haven't a clue what sort of rent this brings in, but surely it is enough to pay for a new market and make a little profit on top. Lets face it the present market is no architectural work of art. I'm sure similar built on an out of town site wouldn't cost a fortune and could easily be financed by the rent taken.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Posted by phil
I really can't understand this, are the council saying that the present market is not profitable. So therefore they don't want another such establishment landed around their necks. Or is it down to the cutbacks?

As I understand it the market at the moment is made up of 235 units, I haven't a clue what sort of rent this brings in, but surely it is enough to pay for a new market and make a little profit on top. Lets face it the present market is no architectural work of art. I'm sure similar built on an out of town site wouldn't cost a fortune and could easily be financed by the rent taken.

Phil

Phil I am sure the market is profitable, if not certainly not a loss maker. What I am sure of is that the land is very valuable. Given it's proximity to the center of the town it would be a great site for a top quality hotel, given that at the moment a load of new restaurants are being built around St. Martins Church. http://www.spicealstreet.co.uk/
See the photo's link

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 07.30.2011 | Top

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:02 pm

SB

I understand that the land the market is built on is valuable, I suppose this connected with the fact that they need bigger premises is the reason behind the move. It must be because I can't see a structure that can be no more than 30 years old not being fit for purpose.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Posted by phil
SB

I understand that the land the market is built on is valuable, I suppose this connected with the fact that they need bigger premises is the reason behind the move. It must be because I can't see a structure that can be no more than 30 years old not being fit for purpose.

Phil

Phil I don't remember reading anywhere that this site isn't fit for purpose. Just that it was being relocated. If it was due to the site being outgrown surely there are other units close bye that could be acquired to add to the markets. It wouldn't be the first time that the power of compulsory purchase has been used. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 pm

SB

Compulsory purchase or not, I think adjoining land was much too expensive. There was talk of relocating to Witton to be close to the Motorway system as most of the fruit, veg, poultry & fish is shipped in by road. But that was before the council pulled out.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:49 am

Posted by phil
SB

Compulsory purchase or not, I think adjoining land was much too expensive. There was talk of relocating to Witton to be close to the Motorway system as most of the fruit, veg, poultry & fish is shipped in by road. But that was before the council pulled out.

Phil

That wouldn't have been a good idea anyway. At present Fruit and veg is transported across the road to the stalls by a convoy of fork trucks, between 5-8 in the morning, then back again at the end of the trading day. Witton was impractical.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by Voltman , Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:20 am

At first I was angry about this, it seems to be change for the sake of it, the sort of thing wasters from a university might come up with to justify their wages at the council.
Then I thought 'what does the market do?' Do I get any benefit from it?
I always thought It's just a stinking eyesore and the town would look better without it.
So goodbye and good riddance.
VM

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am

Posted by Voltman
At first I was angry about this, it seems to be change for the sake of it, the sort of thing wasters from a university might come up with to justify their wages at the council.
Then I thought 'what does the market do?' Do I get any benefit from it?
I always thought It's just a stinking eyesore and the town would look better without it.
So goodbye and good riddance.
VM

Volty I totally disagree, out of order pal.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am

Well for one thing, I would imagine if the wholesale market moves to the outskirts of Birmingham and the traders have to find a private landlord to invest in a new building the cost of fruit, veg, poultry and fish will skyrocket in Birmingham. If the traders fail to find an investor and we loose the market in Birmingham altogether the the prices will go astronomical.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Wedding dress

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor