I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: So we still cut Education spending

#2 by Voltman , Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am

I never trust a strange website that has spelling mistakes, though there are some illiterates working on the catalogue websites of some big electronics supplliers and I still use them because I know them well.
I don't think money is the answer. Not all teachers can spell and they won't improve with a bigger budget, more reading of proper books is what teaches a person to spell korectly.
Kids simply don't read anymore. They read badly spelt americanisms on the interweb and text each other in short form garbage, no amount of money will combat that.
Compulsory library visits is what is required.

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Posted by Voltman
I never trust a strange website that has spelling mistakes, though there are some illiterates working on the catalogue websites of some big electronics supplliers and I still use them because I know them well.
I don't think money is the answer. Not all teachers can spell and they won't improve with a bigger budget, more reading of proper books is what teaches a person to spell korectly.
Kids simply don't read anymore. They read badly spelt americanisms on the interweb and text each other in short form garbage, no amount of money will combat that.

Having first hand experience of schools these days Volty, I will say you are out of date pal.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by handlebar , Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:06 pm

I would suggest that the pleasure of reading has to be caught. Perhaps reading time in primary schools might convey the excitement of reading but the teacher needs the ability to put that across and its patently obvious that a lot of teachers can't.

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am

I'm afraid I have to agree, kids today rarely pick up a book of their own volition. I have often tried to interest my grandchildren and great grandchildren in the wonder of a good book. If I buy them a book all I get is "thanks, but I would have rather had the video".

This is the trouble today, just about every book you can think of is available on DVD so there is no contest. Gone are the days when a youngster could loose themselves for days with Robinson Crusoe or on a Coral Island. Now its all over in 90 minutes on DVD and soon forgotten.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Voltman , Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 am

Posted by Sheldonboy

Posted by Voltman

Having first hand experience of schools these days Volty, I will say you are out of date pal.

Probably SB, but I may just be over critical and notice things that pass other people by.
For instance....I've or Iv'e ? To me the wrong one stands out so much I can't avoid staring at it in wonder. I have been getting plenty of opportunity.
VM

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Volty

I think we need to teach the kids of today how to read & write English before we start worrying about the niceties of grammar & spelling. I wouldn't have know a semi colon from a full stop until after I left school, and I don't know much more now. Though I am more than pleased with the way my life has gone. I also know at least two people who can't read or write who are self made millionaires.

I am not advocating illiteracy, but lets concentrate more on the essentials and turn more kids out of school who can read, write and do simple math and let them worry about refinements later if they want to continue in education.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by handlebar , Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Sadly, Education has for years been the football of the politicians. Change is the nature of the game but it seems to me there are no short cuts to real learning. It is hard work and all the phonetic reading schemes and pocket calculators in the world won't change this. But an enthused teacher can motivate the child and everything is possible. The dumbing down of school standards is to be deplored. Only last week a group of children were being led by their young teacher in ripped jeans and scruffy top. What happened to standards of personal discipline when children knew where the boundaries were and teachers were respected. I remember my teachers with pleasure (and a little awe).

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Is this privatisation looming

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor