Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Park St. Cemetery

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Lyn has anyone on the History Forum mentioned the Cemetery opposite the old Fox and Grapes pub. I think that is Park Street. Well the entire area has been enclosed by a huge wooden fence, the kind that springs up around a building site. I was under the impression that there were graves in there due to the fact that there were several headstones lying about. Usually a bit of a giveaway. If so surely there must be some exhumations for these remains and if so where are they going. I would imagine that these are really old graves with no living rellies. Digging up graves is a bit of a sick landgrab I would have thought.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Park St. Cemetery

#2 by astoness , Sat May 26, 2018 6:33 am

all remaining bodies have now been exhumed and gravestones removed...the fox and grapes pub will soon be demolished..all this to make way for HS2...absolutely disgusting...i do have a recently taken overhead shot of what used to be the burial ground but as we can no longer post photos on this forum i cant showi it to you

lyn

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 pm

I wonder where all the bodies went, wasn't it an ancient Cemetary?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by astoness , Sat May 26, 2018 7:48 pm

yes quite old sb..it is believed that.not all the bodies were removed in the 1950s as they should have been..i think those that were went to witton cem not sure where recent ones went to if i find out will let you know..bit of info about the burial ground

June 1848
£2000 received from London & NW Railway Co as compensation for the loss of part of St Martin's ground for a railway 'deviation' line. The money was to be placed in trust or similar for Birmingham inhabitants for the later purchase of a burial ground

July 1863
A notice was issued that the burial ground was closed except for burials in vaults or brick graves

November 1870
Park Street was showing neglect. Debate about who and how the Park Street fund was to be used. Restoration costs were estimated at £800

May 1871
Park Street had become neglected, especially the section near Freeman Street. Reports in the press of decaying gates and fences, brick walls with gaps in places. The section near St Bartholomew's had less tombstones.

January 1880
Under the Birmingham Closed Burial Grounds Act of 1878, Park Street and St Bartholomew's churchyard came into the hands of the Corporation. The grounds were converted into recreation grounds with nicely laid out gardens. St Bartholomew's had 12,000 sq yards and Park Street covered 14,400 sq yards

May 1959
Under the Birmingham Corporation Act of 1954 all remains of Park Street burials were to be removed

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 05.26.2018 | Top

#5 by astoness , Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 pm

burial ground now..yippee ive posted a photo

PROUD BRUMMIE

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 05.26.2018 | Top

#6 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #5

Fantastic, if you have a look at a close up of this picture of a burial ground, the sign around the fence says "The journey starts here". unbeleivable.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by astoness , Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 pm

yes sb and that is where the journey for the deceased should in my opinion have ended...disgraceful the way they dig up these burial grounds..if you look to the right hand corner thats the fox and grapes pub very very old and that going to be demolished to make way for HS2 really makes me angry...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 26, 2018 9:24 pm

I think the writing on the wall for The Fox and Grapes was when it had a fire.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by mikejee , Sun May 27, 2018 12:18 am

Now be correct SB, the pub did not "have a fire". Fires in unoccupied buildings do not start spontaneously. In the absence of lightning or bombing they arise from lack of care or deliberate malice

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#10 by astoness , Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 am

to just correct sb the writing was on the wall at least 6 years ago long before the 2 fires the pub had...in fact as soon as news broke of HS2 wanting the ground...they had no intentions of incorporating this pub with the HS2 build..i was down that way the other week and the ground adjacent to it has notices up informing whoever owns that land that it will be taken over and to make contact..looking at the dates of the notices no one has claimed the land yet so i guess it will just be taken over...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by Voltman , Sun May 27, 2018 10:27 am

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #6
Quote: astoness wrote in post #5

Fantastic, if you have a look at a close up of this picture of a burial ground, the sign around the fence says "The journey starts here". unbeleivable.

I object to going into town to start a journey. My journey starts at home and if it includes a visit to the city centre then I ain't going.
I want to know how many people will be travelling on the HS2?

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor