Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham's Heritage

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 pm

I read this letter in today's mail and I just thought it was so good and so akin to my own thinking that I had to reproduce it here.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

RE: Birmingham's Heritage

#2 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 pm

What can you say but to agree with every Sad Depressing word.
Consecutive Councils have destroyed our Heritage almost as though it was a great master plan. Why considering our Great motor history, havn't we got a major Transport Museum. Yes of course we have Aston. But this project has been a great struggle for it's volunteers and helpers. This could be a major attraction to this city but it will never happen in my lifetime.
I will always be loyal to Birmingham and everything it USED to stand for. I also think that the motto FORWARD should be removed from our coat of arms. It no longer apply's. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:37 pm

SB

No I think "Forward" is the main problem, its forward and forget what has past.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Deleted User , Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 pm

We need our museums ,we need to celebrate our past as well as looking forward.

Birmingham has such a wonderful history.

#5 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Talking about museums has anyone been to the Jewelry Quarter museum. It's really good>

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by mikejee , Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 pm

I went some years ago, not long after it opened. I agree it is very good.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#7 by handlebar , Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I read the letter with interest. The writer mentions the Science Museum in what he feels is a run down state and then makes the broad statement that Birmingham has lost it's heritage. I wonder what he was actually expecting to see? Trams? Bingley Hall? The Gaumont Cinema? Birmingham was known as the 'City of a thousand trades'. It was never a visitors centre and, like so many other towns and cities is subject to constant change. When the city was first built it evolved (I suspect) out of a hodge podge of small dwellings to a hodge podge of larger ones suitable to the requirements of the trades it was to house. Some were possibly the Victorian Eras stand out architecture. Some were little more than enduring slums. Those trades have gone and the need for much of it's properties. Does one retain fondly recalled properties like the Bingley Hall simply because we loved the Ideal Homes Exhibition or the Gaumont because we watched 'The Sound of Music' twenty times. I loved the trams but they were noisy, old, and monopolised (sometimes dangerously) the roads. Their day was over. Change happens but it has to be managed. Some cities are ahead of the game (like York) because they were never cities of industry and their rather better layouts and properties lend to change more happily. I remember the old Bull ring of the 40's /50's with it's carts down the road and gutters full of cabbage leaves and squashed tomatoes. I gather the new Bull Ring is something to be proud of? Some things will change and some always remain. Whether our modern day architects are up to the job of integrating the old with something that blends and enhances is up for discussion but I doubt that a broad statement like 'Birmingham has lost it's heritage is true. It isn't exactly how I remember it nor will it ever be but if it's fit for purpose who can complain?

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:49 pm

David

I think he means that Birmingham is demolishing some beautiful buildings at a rate of knots when there is now no need to. Of course I agree that all the slums had to be swept away and replaced, and I also agree that after the war the bull ring had to be rebuilt because of the state it was left in because of night visits by our now EU partner.

The point is that was all done years ago, now they are just ripping the heart out of Birmingham for sheer profit, as for the new science museum or whatever it is called I have never set foot through its doors and I never will whilst there is a charge. I am of the opinion that we should not be charged to view our history or our heritage. Another reason why I no longer support the National Trust and gave up my membership is because they have become profit motivated.

No one expects Birmingham to lag behind other cities, but other cities are not diverting tourist away because after doing the shopping in the modern city and enjoying it they like to look at the old buildings a city has to offer. The problem if they want to see Birmingham's old buildings they will have to go and look at the pile of rubble on the local land fill site or the hard core under the motorway.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:29 am | Top

#9 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:04 am

About the only part of the city which has hardly been touched is the DIGBETH/DERITEND area, and that will soon be vanishing at a fast rate of knots, there's NOTHING left of Birmingham worth looking at.

signman

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:33 am

Yes John the East side development is underway, To be fair that side has been neglected since Cromwell last rode through it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:34 am

John

I wouldn't be so hard, because Birmingham still has a few buildings that are still quite pleasing to the eye and well worth a visit, but in my opinion the Council does very little to publicise them unless they are flavour of the month or unusually they have just spent millions of pounds on them. Then for a little while after the reopening they may get a little publicity.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Posted by phil
John

I wouldn't be so hard, because Birmingham still has a few buildings that are still quite pleasing to the eye and well worth a visit, but in my opinion the Council does very little to publicise them unless they are flavour of the month or unusually they have just spent millions of pounds on them. Then for a little while after the reopening they may get a little publicity.

Phil

It's all part of the interest factor. There are loads of nice and interesting buildings in Brum. What you have to do is spend your summer holiday's looking for them.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:34 pm

You can get a quite interesting guide on old buildings in and around Birmingham from the Council House, It's called "spot it and visit it quick before we demolish it".

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:12 am

I'm surprised The Council house hasn't gone by now Phil the land must be worth a bit and it's a great place for a multi story car park.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 am

Well they let a load of German Gypsies park outside every year!

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Old Brum Pictures

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor