Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham

#31 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Posted by Voltman
Perhaps I had better go and see it before they knock it down.
Or perhaps not.

You would enjoy the Wellington more. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#32 by Voltman , Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:29 am

Are they knocking that down as well?

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#33 by winkle , Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:06 am

Whilst we are around New Street Station how about Burlington Passage. Lovely memories of nice model shops in my teeny years, and some good pubs and eating houses when I grew up a bit. The last shot is the current back passage view (can I say that here?).

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

Last edited 03.09.2011 | Top

#34 by winkle , Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:12 pm

And another old favourite, down the side (to the right as you look at the front) of Marks & Spencer in High Street, CASTLE STREET. Some impressive history as I believe it harboured Birmingham's First Music Hall or Theatre in the mid 1700s. Had a few interesting pubs also, that sadly I'd never heard of or sampled...

Attached pictures:
winkle  
winkle

#35 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Did anybody ever eat at the Burlington Restaurant just inside Burlington Arcade. It was once a very posh restaurant, but by the 60's it was getting a bit threadbare. Even so if I wanted to impress a new girlfriend I took her to the Burlington. If not it was over road in either Lyons or Wimpy's.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#36 by Voltman , Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Posted by winkle
Whilst we are around New Street Station how about Burlington Passage. Lovely memories of nice model shops in my teeny years, and some good pubs and eating houses when I grew up a bit. The last shot is the current back passage view (can I say that here?).

I remember the model railway shop, I don't think I ever went in but I loved the window display.
Non of my memories match anything in the photo's. I am thinking mid sixties to early seventies.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.09.2011 | Top

#37 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm

I could never afford any model planes, boats or trains as a child. Though I often admired them in the shop windows. I often would spend ten minutes or so staring at the local cycle shop window on the corner of Ombersley Rd & Moseley Rd where that had a train & model dept. Years later when I could afford one I bought a Mamod Steam Engine with the little spirit burner. I think I fired it up once and wondered what all the fuss was about and never touched it again.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#38 by winkle , Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:28 pm

I agree entirely Phil. Did the same with one of those smelly meths spirit steam engine thingys and wondered so what? It goes round and round? Get over it. No wonder I'm hopeless with technical stuff.

Here's one of those little Squares from the Gun Quarter. Andertons Square in 1932. Phyllis Nicklin also featured some pictures of this site later in the 60s just before they demolished it.

Attached pictures:
winkle  
winkle

Last edited 03.10.2011 | Top

#39 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Here's one I saw on Wednesday, not much to look at now, I think it turned left at the bottom and went up to Colmore Row.

Attached pictures:
signman

#40 by winkle , Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Is this the same one John?

Attached pictures:
winkle  
winkle

#41 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Almost certainly Dennis.

signman
Last edited Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm | Top

#42 by winkle , Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:29 pm

I am not sure. Left hand wall doesn't look right, and neither does the floor... and I've got this as WATERLOO PASSAGE, not Wellington Passage. But good show John, now I must go check it out! Unless mikejee or Phil can shed light on it? Can't see it on Google like I can your lovely photo. I am flummokerknockerated.

winkle  
winkle

#43 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:46 pm

I've never heard of a Waterloo passage, but there again, Mike where are you, here's the two side by side and converted to B/W to remove any distracting colour, could be that it was all re-vamped at some point there's certainly a number of years between the photos, (that's if it is the same alley.)

Attached pictures:
signman

#44 by winkle , Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Solved it John. It is different. This is from David Harvey's Birmingham City Centre Past & Present (Volume 1) and shows the Passage is up that snicket in the photo. The photo I originally posted is also on the next accompanying page of this book. Still there. So your Wellington Passage is a brand new one for me. Brilliant find. Cheers. I owe you a pint in your own family pub sometime? Have I got that right? Wonderful Site this..

Attached pictures:
winkle  
winkle

#45 by winkle , Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Posted by Voltman
Are they knocking that down as well?

Over my dead body Voltman!! This is a belter of a pub. Lunch is well worth the effort, just for the ambience alone. If they attempt it I may have to buy a large gun...

winkle  
winkle

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Nechells

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor