Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Alleys & Passageways of Birmingham

#181 by mikejee , Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 am

I had thought (no proof or anything) that it was called that because it ran parallel to the railway and the canal. It seems to have been constructed about the time of the railway

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#182 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:15 am

Mike wasn't Paternoster Row discussed on one of the other forums that we belong to a few weeks back. Where we were trying to discover where the name came from? At the time I think I said it might have had something to do with the printing works that was local. I don't think we ever discovered the real reason for the name.

phil

#183 by winkle , Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:28 am

McKenna has it 'borrowed' from London. Where it was likely connected to the Printing trade...if that helps.

Harking back to Upper Marshall Street and I suppose Communication Row and Paternoster Row, the thing they lacked to pull my chain properly is (a) they have no old photos I can drool over, and (b) more importantly, they didn't have any Pubs that I knew of...except I think Marshall Street did at the junction of Holloway Head? But then Phil would know and likely have a picture? Pretty please?

winkle  
winkle
Date registered 02.22.2011

Last edited 08.19.2012 | Top

#184 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm

The only pub I can think of on Marshall St was on the corner of Upper Gough St and was the Gough Arms. The pub on Holloway Head you are thinking about must be the Greyhound cider house playground of the rich, poor, famous, drunkards, all sections of society drank there including the author of this post.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#185 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Phil what was the other pub on Holloway Head, there was a Davenports pub but the name escapes me.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#186 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:45 pm

While we are in the area, another couple of cut throughs. Cleve Terrace that ran from Wheeleys Rd to Owen Street and Betholem Row that ran from Bath Row to Lee Bank.

Attached pictures:
phil

#187 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:13 am

One of the few remaining cut through's that still remains in the city today that hasn't been gobbled up in the name of progress. Warwick Passage that runs from Corporation St to Union Passage (another survivor).

Attached pictures:
phil

#188 by winkle , Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #186
While we are in the area, another couple of cut throughs. Cleve Terrace that ran from Wheeleys Rd to Owen Street and Betholem Row that ran from Bath Row to Lee Bank.

...as opposed to CLIVE PASSAGE that ran from Snow Hill...

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle

#189 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Heres one I have just dug out, I have to be honest its not a passage that I think I have ever had cause to use, even though I have been up and down Commercial Street & Holliday Street a thousand times. Holliday Passage runs between the two, and what do you know with all the work and development that has gone on around it, miraculously it has managed to survive and is still there today.

Attached pictures:
phil

#190 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks to the photography of Mr John Ball I can now show a couple of photos of Cannon Passage that ran from Needless Passage to Cannon street and was directly opposite the end of Fore St. Fore St housed my favourite meeting place on the corner Pattisons Restaurant where I could often be found eating a plateful of green curry & chips (they had no idea how to make curry).

Attached pictures:
phil

#191 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:30 pm

Another photo courtesy of Mr John Ball, Temple Passage which was a service alley of Temple St that can be seen located centrally on the map.

Attached pictures:
phil

#192 by winkle , Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Was Little Cannon Street a forerunner of Fore Street Phil? I can see it here running off Cannon Street, but can't find it marked on any map? Has mike got one?

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

winkle  
winkle

#193 by mikejee , Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Winkle
The answer to your question is "sort of" !. Fore st was originally part of Little cannon St, but little cannon st extended slightly further than Fore st. This can be seen on the 1875 plan showing where corporation st was to run

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#194 by Pam Keeling , Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I loved the picture of Betholem Row with the kids outside. I was born there in march 1956. Ther were 3 house and mine was number 11. I think it may be me my brother and some of ths williams kids who in the end house by the yard. There were 11 of them as i remeber in a very small house. Cellar living/kitchen room 1bedroom 1st floor and the attic room . Our loo was the last one along and my moms wash house was on the opposite corner of the yard. Every Monday the midden man came and cleaned out the loos through a metal door in the wall in the the street. Good times.

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#195 by astoness , Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm

hi pam and welcome...your discription of your house fits the back to back type ones that i was born in in paddington st aston 1953..where was betholem row as ive never heard of it...so pleased there is a pic of it for you though..i am also learning all the time as ive not heard of the midden man before..hope you enjoy the forum..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Nechells

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor