Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Are We Paying for Fake Research?

#1 by Voltman , Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am

Everyday some new research result is published telling us what we should or shouldn't eat, how much we should drink, how much sugar, salt, fat, water we should consume.
The list is endless, as is the public funding for all this garbage.

Now it seems that most of it is made up, badly carried out or simply copied and regurgitated.

"The scale of "fake research" in the UK appears to have been underestimated, a BBC investigation suggests."

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.27.2017 | Top

RE: Are We Paying for Fake Research?

#2 by mikejee , Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:16 pm

I think "most " is a gross exaggeration, especially when compared to the lies of politicians and the editors of a large proportion of the newspapers people read ie those owned by Murdoch and Lord Northwood

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by Voltman , Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't pay anything towards Murdoch and Northwood, whoever they are, but my tax money is paying student layabouts to make up supposedly factual papers about things they probably know nothing about that is subsequently disseminated in the media as fact, thereby making money for the aforementioned.

Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#4 by mikejee , Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:22 pm

But that is the fault of the daily mail and Murdoch's papers as much as the idiot who put it out.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#5 by mikejee , Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Perhaps even more the fault of the various governments who seem to think everyone should have a degree, and therefore set up a breeding program for universities who have to have "subjects " such as golf, media studies and similar crap to fill their courses and produce subjectts for research such as "does eating too much make you fat" or ones of similar calibre, who then produce stupid papers and even worse, on occasion, criminally evil papers such as the one by the scum who claimed measles vaccine caused everything under the sun, or ones publicised in the Daily mail about stupid diets

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#6 by Voltman , Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am

I don't see why students are publishing anything, they are at University because they don't know anything, except perhaps a three second passage from some obscure Bach opera. I always assumed that professional professors were in charge of research, and their peers examined and criticised each others findings before anything was released to the public domain.

Another "research" that mystifies me is charities researching such things as cancer or heart disease, in fact any disease.
As far as I know only major drug companies manufacture and sell lifesaving medicines.
Does this mean that the money given to charities, funds research that then has to be passed to a drug company so they can manufacture drugs that will be sold at massively high prices that even the NHS can't afford?
If the drug companies do all their own research, which is how they justify the high prices, then to what end or purpose is the charity research?

Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#7 by mikejee , Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:36 am

I think most of the charities research is more basic, that will not lead directly to new drugs, but may help in the future. As you so rightly say, the pharmaceutical companies are really only interested in research thta will give (relatively) immediate profit. With regard to your comment about professors, because of the glut of universities and some of the ridiculous subjects "studied " there, many "professors" are of mediocre intelligence, certainly any to do with golf or "hospitality" oor many of the new "subjects" that have been recently invented

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Old Fossil Has A Shrimp Named After Him.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor