Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Australia and Aborigines

#1 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 am

Australia to hold Referendum on recognising Aborigines
Notorious Aboriginal ghetto to be bulldozed
First Aboriginal MP for Australia
Aboriginal children 'starving'
Australia will hold a referendum on recognising its indigenous people in the constitution to improve conditions for its most disadvantaged community.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard said there was a "once-in-50-year opportunity" to harness public and parliamentary support for greater recognition.
The 550,000 Indigenous Australians make up 2.7% of the population.
They suffer disproportionately high rates of unemployment, imprisonment, drug abuse, alcoholism and disease.
'Change needed'
Ms Gillard, of the centre-left Labor party, said that practical efforts to help Australia's Aborigines could not succeed without greater respect and recognition.
"The first peoples of our nation have a unique and special place in our nation," she said.
"We came to government also knowing that change was needed on an emotional level as well as a practical level."
"The recognition of Indigenous Australians - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples - in the Australian constitution is another step, the next step in that journey," she added.
The referendum will ask the country to give constitutional recognition to indigenous people. It is unclear when the vote will take place.
Aboriginal leaders say a positive result would have a "dramatic effect" on the community's self-esteem.
Forty-four referendums have been held in Australia since 1901. Only eight have been passed.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Australia and Aborigines

#2 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:43 am

Why would Australia need to hold a referendum on treating aborigines fairly.
They are the Indigenous people of their country. There are at present 517000 Aboriginal people in Australia, they are the original owners of the country and their ancestry goes back centuries.
They wouldn't be treated like this if they were white. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 am

Same goes for native American indians.

signman

#4 by Sheldonboy , Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 am

Absolutely right John

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 am

Its a sad fact but colonists have treated the indigenous people of all countries in the same way since time began. We humans like the animal world that we are part of have always preyed on the weak. Our record in this country is as bad as all the other so called enlightened countries. Yes I'm afraid the whole of Europe has crimes to atone for.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by berniew , Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:14 pm

I must be a bit thick but I can't see the point of recognising Aboriginies as the original inhabitants I have never heard anyone dispute it . From what I have read and people I have spoken to the indiginous people of the USA Canada and Australia seem to have got a very poor deal but they all seem to suffer from a predisposition for alcoholism amd drug addiction , I don't know if this is genetic or bourn out of despair but I can't see a recognition of their status alone making any difference

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Bernie

After the way they have been treated and still are being treated I would think it is "Born of despair".

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Disappearing Britain

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor