Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: commonwealth Games

#16 by Voltman , Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:32 am

Posted by phil
What I don't understand is, I have seen some really good Indian Tradesmen in the building trade especially Sikhs. I know they work different ways to us, but their standard of work is excellent. So who is to blame? Mind you all the good tradesmen are probably here and who can blame them.

Phil

Dubai has / is being built by indian workers and the quality is a good as you will get anywhere. The architects, the main contractors and the Clerks of Works are responsible for seeing to that.
I suspect the construction of the games buildings are not supervised anywhere nearly so well and the labour force isn't trained or skilled to the same degree.
VM

“If a man knows he will sooner or later be robbed upon a journey, he will have a bottle of the best in every inn and look upon all his extravagances as so much gained upon the thieves.”
Robert Louis Stevenson.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer] http://telsen.co.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

RE: commonwealth Games

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 am

VM

When my father converted the original Manzil Restaurant from the Morgans sausages factory in Digbeth. The shop frontage was done by an old Sikh chippy he must have been nearly 70. He never used one set square rule or any setting out device or any electrical tools whatsoever.

He got the Indian arches by bending his saw and drawing around it. I used to stand and watch him. I was only about 16 at the time. He let me have a go at it, I couldn't even get his saw to cut. He laughed and told me that their saws cut on the pull stroke as opposed to the push on ours.

When he had finished it was a magnificent job with not an error or mistake anywhere. That was 47 years ago, and it wasn't that long ago that they changed the frontage. So it lasted in excess of 40 years.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brilliant

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor