Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Popes Visit To Birmingham

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:07 pm

I hope you have all paid your £25 and got your ticket to see the Pope next month at Cofton Park. Sorry I hope you have all made your donation as the Vatican will have it said.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am | Top

RE: Popes Visit to Birmingham

#2 by Deleted User , Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 pm

I am not a catholic but I know the pope is very important to catholics and t hey rarely have chance to see him so I hope the event goes well for them all.

I am not saying anything about the money side of things LOL

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Denise

I think I told you that I was baptised a Catholic (not my choice) But I think it is disgusting when a faith charges a fee to see the highest priest in its order making an act of devotion.

I don't care what the excuse is or what is given. Access to religion should be free at all times. I think Henry VIII had the right idea when he kicked them all out and grabbed their property and money.

The Catholic hierarchy says that if you are not baptised, married and buried by a priest you will never go to heaven. Have you seen how much they want for these services now? Whats more if they are not paid they won't do it. So if you can't afford it you can go straight to Hell. What happened to "the eye of the needle" and all that?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Voltman , Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm

I thought Cofton Park was owned by the citizens of Birmingham.
If so I shalll be expecting a cheque for my share of the proceeds.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 pm

I hope you don't wait too long Volty, the catholic church is not renowned for its generosity.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:25 pm

I remember on the last Popes visit when he was at Coventry, he was given his Pope mobile. He was shown the controls, a priest pointed out that when the sun came out If the Pope pressed the Green button the Sun roof opened. The Pope asked "what happens if it starts raining". You see said the Priest if you press the red button, it stops raining.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#7 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:31 am

Sorry folks at the risk of upsetting people I have no time for religion whatsoever, and certainly not catholic.

signman

#8 by Voltman , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:40 am

Well at least Catholics don't go about demanding we all become Catholic on pain of death (any more).
Thank god I'm an atheist.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 08.27.2010 | Top

#9 by Sheldonboy , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 am

Couldn't agree more John

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by Sheldonboy , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:49 am

What's the difference between a Christian and an Atheist

A Christian does the right thing because it's the Christian thing to do

An Atheist does the right thing because it's the Right thing to do.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by Deleted User , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 am

It is very hard to be a GOOD christain.

I have a deep faith and I am lucky to live here and have the chance to make the most of everything.

As I lack in most departments I call myself a christian wanna be.

No I don't have all the answers but I am working on it LOL

#12 by Voltman , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:39 am

You are right SB, of course, but I don't need to join the rest of the flock to feel happy doing the right thing. I'll do it on my own in the face of fierce opposition.
On the other hand there is a lot of twaddle that comes with religeon, mostly made up by the paid clergy, that causes the believers to do things they now believe is right even though good sense would tell them otherwise.

On Radio Two just a couple of mornings ago, the guest christian vicar stated that "God's not really into hippocrites". Even in her own world she couldn't possibly know that, and if she did and it were true, then doesn't that make some of the other stuff a lie?

Alll my thoughts are my own and even I may not agree with them.
VM

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 am

I was christened a catholic and spent the years aged 4 to 10 0f age in catholic schools in England & Scotland. The schools were mostly run by priests and nuns. Six years with those self serving sanctimonious .........people and any idea that there was a god was completely driven out of me. At 10 years of age I rebelled and would no longer attend a catholic school.

If these hypocrites were his servants, then what would he be like if he wasn't just a fantasy invented to make money out of scared people.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am | Top

#14 by Voltman , Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm

A good friend of mine went to a catholic school where he was beaten by nuns, he told me that sometimes, for absolutely no reason whatsoever and with out any just cause, they would teach him.

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#15 by berniew , Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Does the £25 go to the church or the council or goverment , it may be towards covering the cost of the 3 parkeepers and 12 policemen that may be needed

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Curry's Bull Ring Store

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor