Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#4606 by astoness , Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

afternoon all...this has never happened to me before...i was doing some work in the back garden when all of sudden this little chappie came flying down...landed right by me and stayed with me for over an hour....not frightened at all of my presence...not very very up of birds but the robin is the only one i can think of who is scared of nothing at all...so im thinking hes a young one...hopefully someone can confirm this...took this photo within touching distance of him....oh he didnt seem to want to use the bird feeder with the fat balls in but he did take some bread i put down for him or her as the case may be..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.18.2014 | Top

#4607 by mikejee , Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Yes Lyn, i think its a young robin. I had one that started toarrive when I was out in the garden some years ago, and the red of his breast developed to a really bright colour. I think it was the same one up last year. This year i haven't seen that one , but another has appeared (might be his/her offspring). Haven't been in the garden much, but it sits on a bit of wood or something and stares at me through the sliding door in my living room - waiting.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4608 by astoness , Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #29799
Yes Lyn, i think its a young robin. I had one that started toarrive when I was out in the garden some years ago, and the red of his breast developed to a really bright colour. I think it was the same one up last year. This year i haven't seen that one , but another has appeared (might be his/her offspring). Haven't been in the garden much, but it sits on a bit of wood or something and stares at me through the sliding door in my living room - waiting.

ahh thats great mike i thought it was a robin...never been that close to a wild bird in my life...couldnt get me camera out quick enough[Little LOL]..think i must have taken at least 12 shots of him/her..if you can get a pic of your robin please post it..ps its probably waiting for a few scraps off you..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4609 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #29800
Quote: mikejee wrote in post #29799

ahh thats great mike i thought it was a robin...never been that close to a wild bird in my life...couldnt get me camera out quick enough[Little LOL]..think i must have taken at least 12 shots of him/her..if you can get a pic of your robin please post it..ps its probably waiting for a few scraps off you..

I've known some wild birds.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4610 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Everyone else please do not respond to this post

SLOW JO IF YOU CAN READ THIS AND ARE HAVING A PROBLEM PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAILS, SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4611 by astwood , Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Evening All nice photo of your robin lyn we get one in our garden every year

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#4612 by astoness , Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:11 pm

Quote: astwood wrote in post #29803

evening astwood...i was chuffed to see it...ive had fully grown ones but not a young one before..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4613 by astwood , Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #29804

evening astwood...i was chuffed to see it...ive had fully grown ones but not a young one before..

we had a young magpie a couple of years back it couldnt fly so
my wife gave it water and food and after a couple of weeks it was fine

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#4614 by astoness , Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Quote: astwood wrote in post #29805
Quote: astoness wrote in post #29804

we had a young magpie a couple of years back it couldnt fly so
my wife gave it water and food and after a couple of weeks it was fine

ahh thats good astwood..sort of thing i would have done...cant believe im turning into a twitcher..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

SLOW JO

#4615 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Everyone else please do not respond to this post

SLOW JO IF YOU CAN READ THIS AND ARE HAVING A PROBLEM PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAILS, SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

RE: Robin

#4616 by mikejee , Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:23 pm

Lyn
Haven't got a picture of the new one, but here is the old one 4 years ago.

the upload does not seem to be working get following:

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable.

Please try again later.

err:http://217.13.206.180/files/dyn/handle_upload.php

Hochladen von Dateien
Das Hochladen von Dateien ist vorübergehnd leider nicht möglich.

Bitte haben Sie einen Moment Geduld oder nutzen Sie in der Zwischenzeit den Service www.bilder-hochladen.net um Bilder hochzuladen und in Ihrem Forum Beitrag darzustellen.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#4617 by Voltman , Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #29798
afternoon all...this has never happened to me before...i was doing some work in the back garden when all of sudden this little chappie came flying down...landed right by me and stayed with me for over an hour....not frightened at all of my presence...not very very up of birds but the robin is the only one i can think of who is scared of nothing at all...so im thinking hes a young one...hopefully someone can confirm this...took this photo within touching distance of him....oh he didnt seem to want to use the bird feeder with the fat balls in but he did take some bread i put down for him or her as the case may be.

He came to see what you were doing in case you had dug up any worms or bugs.
They trust us but are easily scared off. Robins love to perch on things while they observe, they then put themselves in great danger if they spot food as they will fly in where you are digging, so you need to be aware of them. They are mostly carnivorous and don't think much of seed unless it contains mealworms.
The colour seems to change depending on age, season and gender. When there are chicks in the nest they get really daring in their quest for food, which has to be meat as chicks are solely carnivorous..

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#4618 by astoness , Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 am

morning all...

thanks for that info on robins volty..he did perch on the fence a lot but also spent a lot of time on the ground which concerned me as i have 5 cats who also follow me round the garden..luckily they had not long been fed and were all asleep...will look out for robin today..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4619 by mikejee , Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:13 am

Trying again. Here is my original robin 4 years ago

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#4620 by astoness , Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm

hes cute mike thanks...i think the robin is my favourite bird...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor