Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#3511 by Cleopatra , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Slo Jo, may Dad would not talk too much about the war.

He was in air sea rescue at one point. I remember asking him how he got a scar on the back of his leg and he told me that one day they rescued a couple of Germans and he did not spot one of them had a knife. Needless to say Dad got stabbed in the leg. When I asked him what happened then? Dad replied "I threw him back in the bloody water, then we had to rescue him again"

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

Last edited 06.08.2014 | Top

#3512 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:37 pm

thanks jo i will bring some piccies back no fear of that..

totally agree with all you say cleo and lets also not forget the many thousands of civilians who died...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3513 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:39 pm

cleo ive heard that a lot of men just refused to talk about their experiences during both wars...they just wanted to try and forget it...even heard of men after receiving their medals throwing them away.

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3514 by Slow Jo , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:42 pm

My dad was in the artillery ,he said coming home through cologne there was not a building standing ,all wiped out by bombing,that was all he told me, but i was only a kid then.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#3515 by Cleopatra , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Astoness, quite right. There were many who helped the war effort at home and many lost their lives in the process. We do not always give them the credit and respect they deserve.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#3516 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Quote: Cleopatra wrote in post #28709
Astoness, quiet right. There were many who helped the war effort at home and many lost their lives in the process. We do not always give them the credit and respect they deserve.

agreed cleo...everyone played a part especially the women who either stayed at home with the children trying to keep it together while taking on all sorts of dangerous jobs for the war effort at the same time and all the time worrying if they would ever see loved ones again...we can only imagine just how hard it must have been..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3517 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Good evening. We just got in from Tesco's

My Dad was wounded in the war. His one arm was a right mess. He was in hospital having his arm put back together as well as possible in those days. One day he was in a park, not sure which one, taking a walk round the lake. he spotted a young woman chasing her pram which was rolling into the lake. my Dad waded in and rescued the baby. When he got back to the hospital he got into severe trouble for getting his dressings wet.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3518 by astwood , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Good Night All have a good holiday lyn

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#3519 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #28711

My Dad was wounded in the war. His one arm was a right mess. He was in hospital having his arm put back together as well as possible in those days. One day he was in a park, not sure which one, taking a walk round the lake. he spotted a young woman chasing her pram which was rolling into the lake. my Dad waded in and rescued the baby. When he got back to the hospital he got into severe trouble for getting his dressings wet.

evening SB...what a brave and good thing for your dad to do...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3520 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Quote: astwood wrote in post #28712
Good Night All have a good holiday lyn

thanks astwood dont forget the footie tomorrow...the day i come back we play italy and ive left instructions with the lads to make sure they get the flag outside early morning...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3521 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #28713

Thanks Lyn, my Dad died when I was Seven years old, but he will always be my hero.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3522 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #28715
Quote: astoness wrote in post #28713

Thanks Lyn, my Dad died when I was Seven years old, but he will always be my hero.

totally understand that SB.

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3523 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Just watching the Veterans on the telly from France. they always bring a lump to my throat.
I have the great Honour to lay the wreath for The St Georges Day Association at Nelsons Statue in The Bull Ring Every Year also I couldn't live with myself if I didn't attend the Rememberance Day Parade in Centenary Square on the 11th November. To give up 1 morning every year to commemorate the ultimate sacrifice of millions. Is the very least I could do.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#3524 by astoness , Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #28717
Just watching the Veterans on the telly from France. they always bring a lump to my throat.
I have the great Honour to lay the wreath for The St Georges Day Association at Nelsons Statue in The Bull Ring Every Year also I couldn't live with myself if I didn't attend the Rememberance Day Parade in Centenary Square on the 11th November. To give up 1 morning every year to commemorate the ultimate sacrifice of millions. Is the very least I could do.

well said...i hope to be at this years service...got another one to go to the week after that...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3525 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #28718
Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #28717

well said...i hope to be at this years service...got another one to go to the week after that...

Don't hope to be there Lyn. Be there girl.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor