Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham St Georges Day Association News

#1 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm

My Wife and I are Trustees of The Birmingham Saint Georges Day Association as some of you may know.
This is a story that our friend Barbara of The Birmingham Air Raids Rememberance Association (BARRA) reported to the Sunday Mercury after speaking to us last Saturday
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mid...ges-day-9954041

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Birmingham St Georges Day Association News

#2 by astwood , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 pm

A great shame SB lets hope its not lost forever

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#3 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Quote: astwood wrote in post #2
A great shame SB lets hope its not lost forever

I am afraid that may be the case Astwood, the committee are all getting older ( my wife and I are the youngest at 65), funding has dried up and audiences are getting smaller every year.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by Slow Jo , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:36 pm

That's a big shame S B ,pity the committee can't find a different place to hold the concert, there's nothing at all wrong with a bit of patriotism, bet if it was a rock concert they would get it on .

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#5 by astwood , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm

They make a lot more money holding rock concerts have you seen the prices lately

astwood  
astwood

#6 by Slow Jo , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:45 pm

I agree but they obviously don't think much of our patron saint St George ,unlike the irish do of St Patrick ,remember the Saint Patricks day parade.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#7 by astwood , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:48 pm

Its all about money jo and if they make more doing other things they will

astwood  
astwood

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm

The main problem is having somewhere big enough to hold the artists, this year in the finale we had around 250 people on stage.
We also need to sell loads of tickets, trouble is advertising is very difficult and not enough people are interested.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by astoness , Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:55 pm

now come on folks...are we really surprised at this....slowly but surely not only is our city being taken away from us and we are made to feel outcasts (well i do) just open your eyes and look around... but now they want to take away the one day of year when we can show our support for our country and feel proud to be english...i am absolutely disgusted...i dont care how its dressed up but bcc do not give a jot about us brummies . sorry SB but there are no excuses.they give no support at all...well not for us they dont..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 08.30.2015 | Top

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:08 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #9
now come on folks...are we really surprised at this....slowly but surely not only is our city being taken away from us and we are made to feel outcasts (well i do) just open your eyes and look around... but now they want to take away the one day of year when we can show our support for our country and feel proud to be english...i am absolutely disgusted...i dont care how its dressed up but bcc do not give a jot about us brummies . sorry SB but there are no excuses.they give no support at all...well not for us they dont..

Well Lyn you could probably tell our readers as much about our concerts as I can.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by astoness , Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:14 pm

SB i already do that on this forum and others..this is not what we are talking about now...i have shown my disgust at this latest news and i stick by it...

i have always wondered why we have to have the concerts behind closed doors why not have a street parade as others have done over the years...why not in one of our wonderful parks such as handsworth or cannon hill...silly question really..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#12 by Slow Jo , Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:17 pm

I agree with every word your saying lyn ,we are becoming the foreigner's in our own country,what happened to patriotism an rule britannia, great britain ,I think the imigrant's are slowly but surely infilltrating into our top job's ,and will run the place there way eventually ,and we will have no choice in the end but to except it .Hope i'm not around to witness it .

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#13 by Voltman , Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 am

It's a shame that the CBSO have chosen to book a date that they would have known rightfully belongs to the St Georges bunch. According to the newspaper report they were even asked by Symphony Hall to relinquish their booking.
Perhaps they are driven by the prospect of tickets sales as high as £48 per seat.
If you feel sorry for them and would like to donate your hard earned to the CBSO you can find the links at their begging web site. CBSO Screw You

British CBSO conductors usually get knighted, why? I have no idea, is this really the way a future knight of the realm would behave toward other Birmingham organisations?

No, of course it isn't, but then Andris Nelson isn't British he is Latvian and clearly doesn't give a stuff about us.

apoxonhim

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 08.31.2015 | Top

#14 by Cleopatra , Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:11 am

Not sure if I have the facts correct but if so, you'd think Sympohny Hall would stand by the Association or at least work to find another suitable venue. After all they are run by Performances Birmingham Limited a registered charity on behalf of Birmingham City Council and on their website they talk about supporting the wider community. Time for them and the council to step up and support their English community.

Come on Birmingham City Council do the honourable thing and help the St. George's Day Association out!

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#15 by Sheldonboy , Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48 pm

Quote: Cleopatra wrote in post #14
Not sure if I have the facts correct but if so, you'd think Sympohny Hall would stand by the Association or at least work to find another suitable venue. After all they are run by Performances Birmingham Limited a registered charity on behalf of Birmingham City Council and on their website they talk about supporting the wider community. Time for them and the council to step up and support their English community.

Come on Birmingham City Council do the honourable thing and help the St. George's Day Association out!

Nice try Cleo, it won't happen. This we know

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor