Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Tragedy at Shoreham Airshow

#16 by Voltman , Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:35 pm

The air display was a vanity driven (showing off) event, not necessary and not regulated in the same way as commercial aircraft operations, I would say that the aircraft owner and the pilot are entirely responsible for the deaths and damage caused by their aircraft to persons not attending the event.

Accident or not, it wouldn't have happened if the aircraft wasn't performing unneccesary manouvres for the sole purpose of showng off.

Such displays have to be analysed turn by turn before they can get approval to go ahead. Surely one of the failure scenarios would have included the very unlikely event that an aircraft would crash into a busy road.
If that possibillity exists, how can approval be given?

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by mikejee , Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:19 am

The possibility that something bad COULD happen exists in many situations including those which are controlled, such as motor racing events and those that are not. If we are to consider the argument in the last paragraph to have any sense then it would stop all events where there is the remotest possibility of anything bad happening. Following that decision then we would have to consider whether we bring the same consideration into play with other potentially less dangerous events. We would end up with no private cars (because of all the potential deaths that COULD happen) and , of course, no travelling by plane. Mind you, provided proper public transport was provided then the first of these would be a good thing as it would decrease global warming.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#18 by Voltman , Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 am

Quite true Mike, but my points were that there was no point to the activity of the crashed jet and it was given special permission to carry out the pointless aerobatics in the vicinity of a busy road.
It took off, did things that weren't necessary solely for the amusement of a crowd and then crashed into the ground.
Under the rules of air displays the crowd on the ground are given special consideration when choreographing the display to reduce or eliminate the risk of an aircraft hitting them.
I want to know why the same consideration doesn't appear to have been given to the people on the highway.

Most aircraft flights are carried out in a stable horizontal manner with the intention of moving the aircraft and contents safely to a distant destination.
As far as I know, even the worst motor racing disaster didn't involve killing people a mile away from the circuit.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 09.11.2015 | Top

#19 by mikejee , Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:21 am

Volty
I don't think I could take exception to any of the points you raised, but what I was trying to say was that the "possibility" of something happening cannot automatically exclude any activity because very few things are genuinely impossible. Sure, air displays have to be specifically approved , but, the way government today works , in the future other activities could easily also fall into that category, and thus also be banned if it was "possible" that a serious accident could occur. Presumably the authorities, after consideration, thought that the possibilty of such an accident was minimal.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#20 by Voltman , Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 am

I suppose that would come under Risk Assessment.
It seems unlikely that such a risk will ever be considered minimal at future air displays.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#21 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #20
I suppose that would come under Risk Assessment.
It seems unlikely that such a risk will ever be considered minimal at future air displays.

I understand that the Highway code is to be altered. The rules now are to be:
Look Right
Look Left
and Look Up

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#22 by mikejee , Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:28 pm

With a special addition for Manchester and certain other areas "Look down" in case there is subsidence

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#23 by Voltman , Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:09 am

Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 10.14.2015 | Top

#24 by Voltman , Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:54 pm

The Final Report.

So many things were wrong but mainly it was lack of speed prior to, and lack of height at the point of, the manoeuvre which caused the plane to strike the ground.

"Aircraft Accident Report AAR 1/2017 - G-BXFI"

Calendars for all years
British Movietone

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 03.23.2018 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Red Arrows Jet crash

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor