Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Photograph Uploads

#1 by Voltman , Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Dear members,

We have a storage limit of 100Mb imposed upon us by Xobor.
This limit applies to anything attached to a post and anything uploaded into the Picture Gallery.

Some judicious pruning and resizing sessions over the last two years has kept us below this limit without spoiling current members posts or gallery albums.
Just two months ago we were at 15% capacity, today we are at 103% and Xobor are shouting "Achtung" at us.

Members can assist in keeping us below this limit by resizing their photo's, etc, before uploading them. I suggest somewhere around 350Kb file size for photographs and much less for other images and documents.
We can also edit our own photo gallery albums and replace oversized shots with more modest versions.
There is a trade off between quality and file size but for the purposes of a computer screen large files are unnecessary.
The main thing to remember is that modern digital cameras and scanners produce photographs that will fill the side of a bus.

Being selective about what to delete takes hours of work and has become more difficult.
Therefore I propose to start removing files based only on size, regardless of when or by whom they were uploaded and only as much as is required to make reasonable space for new uploads.
This is a self regulating method of control as the largest files, unfortunately also the worst offenders, will be at the top of the list for early deletion.

This forum is based around our images and photo's so please keep them coming, just make them a bit smaller.

Thank you
Voltman

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 06.22.2015 | Top

RE: Photograph Uploads

#2 by astoness , Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm

volty so does this limit just apply to photos..maps etc not the written word..i only ask as ive never been a counter of how many posts have been made and by who...so long as the forum is still going thats good enough for me but threads like open all hours which funnily enough i started 5 years today has nearly 34000 posts and 2266 pages none of it apart from last nights posts are ever really going to be read again..just wondered if large threads like this make a difference to the mb we are allowed?? same thing with the in the news threads..old hat now and could be culled if it will help..

just my thoughts

lyn

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:16 pm

lyn I think we will start to kill off some of the older posts that hold no information. SB

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by astoness , Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #3
lyn I think we will start to kill off some of the older posts that hold no information. SB

good idea SB

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by Slow Jo , Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Hope that dos'nt include me i'm classed as old.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#6 by astwood , Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #5

Your next on the hit list jo[Silly Grin]

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#7 by Slow Jo , Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 pm

If I promise to behave ,do you think they would give me a second chance.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#8 by astoness , Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #5

[Big Laugh]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:07 pm

No Jo Posts not posters.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by astoness , Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #9
No Jo Posts not posters.

silly billy

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by Slow Jo , Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Phew thats good just checking .

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#12 by Voltman , Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #2
volty so does this limit just apply to photos..maps etc not the written word..i only ask as ive never been a counter of how many posts have been made and by who...so long as the forum is still going thats good enough for me but threads like open all hours which funnily enough i started 5 years today has nearly 34000 posts and 2266 pages none of it apart from last nights posts are ever really going to be read again..just wondered if large threads like this make a difference to the mb we are allowed?? same thing with the in the news threads..old hat now and could be culled if it will help..

just my thoughts

lyn

It only applies to attachments and uploads to the gallery. I can see the file sizes of attachments but have yet to find a way of measuring the picture gallery albums.
Posts and their texts are not measured and nor are smilies or pictures, within posts, that are linked to rather than attached.
Despite being larger than most, our smilie collection is small in file size and is not under threat, no matter how many times they appear in a post.
We do not need to be killing off older things. Firstly it is against our basic principle of preserving history, Secondly it exposes us younger things to a similar risk.

Volty

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#13 by Voltman , Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:31 am

It would appear that photographs with a resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels, at any pixel density, are proving to be the most suitable for posting on this forum. The file size will be around 600kb.

Smaller is good but larger is not.
The largest file will be deleted each time we reach 100% capacity.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#14 by Sheldonboy , Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 pm

volty I have had an idea about this,leave it with me for now. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor