Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Who Do You Think You Are?

#1 by Deleted User , Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Anybody like the tv programme and have something interesting in their past...........?

On my maternal Grandmothers side we hail from Hereford ,she was orphaned at a young age and come to stay with people in Brum.Think her brother went to the Bluecoat school

On my paternal side we seem pure Brum,they lived in the residential streets slap in the city centre.

I like Hereford and glad I have a link to the place.

Last edited Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 pm | Top

RE: WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ?

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Denise

I know back as far as my grandparents because I knew them when they were alive. I know very little about my family. I wasn't even sure until recently that my mother was born in Scotland.

I think the little I know about my family has driven away any curiosity I might have about my antecedents.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 am

I love this programme although it's all done for the tv, if we had all the help and resources that the particular subject has each week we would all find something interesting in our past.
I have always said joe soap public has a far more interesting tale to tell than all these so called stars.
Looking forward to the monday one of the girl from Ballykissangel Der... something, she's gorgeous.

signman

#4 by astoness , Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:13 am

love it denise although the tv programme makes it looks so easy to delve into your past...wish i could have have it done for me although i have gone back as far as 1788 on my moms side have not really discovered any major skeltons in the cupboard...just the fact that my great great grandad on moms side left his poor wife stuck in ladywood with 2 small boys and went to yorkshire got married again and had another 4 children...in those days divorce was not the done thing as obviously unlike today there was not really anyway of checking up if someone married illegally...they just did it..i even have copies of both marriage certificates...look forward to watching it on monday...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by Voltman , Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Have they ever shown one where the subject celeb has absolutely nothing of interest in their past?
Do they research good stories first and only then make the program or do they go through the whole process and then not show the program?

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 07.15.2010 | Top

#6 by astoness , Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 pm

do you know volty i have often wondered that..surely they cant get such interesting subjects everytime...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by Nicholas , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:45 am

Posted by Voltman
Have they ever shown one where the subject celeb has absolutely nothing of interest in their past?
Do they research good stories first and only then make the program or do they go through the whole process and then not show the program?

I absolutely love this programme - much to the chagrin of my family, who don't share the interest!!

I'm obviously not a celebrity, but they can come and do a show about me if they want to touch on the 'nothing of interest' equation!! Laugh!!!

I'd always wanted to chase up my family history, but had always considered that it would have been a somewhat awkward and fruitless task. (There is no record of who my father is - 60's love child and all that.... - and my grandfather on my mothers side was an orphan, etc, so there would never be a good starting point to such an exercise at best!)

Having been raised by my Victorian-style grandmother, she had regaled me with tales of the family history - including the fact that we had apparently 'come over this way' from Wales at some point and so on.

Some considerable years further on and I happened to bump into a lovely woman on a local forum who asked if I was interested in genealogy..... I explained the bit of a 'non starter' that was my lineage...... and within a couple or three days, she had most kindly provided me with my F.H. on my grandmothers side back to 1841 and the names of my grandfathers mother and all of his brothers and sisters!! (The latter upset me slightly, as I'm sure he never had an inkling of this information in his lifetime..... which I thought was such a terrible shame!!)

Contrary to Grans version of our history, there is no Welsh connection in the family as such..... save for the fact that my Grandfather was adopted in Wrexham. With a name like Duffy, however, I'd imagine that we probably originated a little bit further West than Wales!! Laugh!! On her side (which is where I presume she was making the Welsh claim) we're all Black Country born and bred, it seems: Sedgley, Gornal and later Bilston, Darlaston, etc, etc.

Funnily enough - what a coincidence - I do happen to share a great-great uncle, on my grans side, with the wonderful lady who did the digging on my behalf!!

Perhaps the TV might like to do a 'commoner version' of the programme and feature yours truly.......???? I shall immediately get in the bathroom mirror and practice looking crestfallen and bewildered!! Laugh!!

Seriously though, it's an amazingly interesting pursuit and I do take my hat off to people who've gone into the subject to great length!!

All the best,

Nick

www.westmidlandsghostclub.com

Nicholas
Date registered 08.20.2010

#8 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:58 am

Nick, that's pretty sad, didn't you get any info from your mother at all.

signman

#9 by astoness , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:01 am

hi ya nick and welcome...i know you said that your grandfather on your moms side was an orphan but is there no birth record for him..????..ive heard many times of folk who fathers are not down on the birth certs...its happening in my family research and as you say this makes it impossible to continue with the linage...but i did wonder if you could find out more about your moms dad....

lyn[Skipping Happy]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by Nicholas , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 am

Posted by signman
Nick, that's pretty sad, didn't you get any info from your mother at all.

To be totally brutal Signman - I didn't get much of anything from my mom at all..... only a visit once a week! Laugh! My father was never spoken of in front of me as a child........ and fairly recent enquiries around a few relatives I thought might have been 'in the know' have all proven fruitless. I get the feeling that the rellies are somehow staying faithful to my deceased mother and gran, to be honest, but I get the impression dad was only ever referred to in 'hushed voices' !!! Laugh, laugh!!

Posted by astoness
hi ya nick and welcome...i know you said that your grandfather on your moms side was an orphan but is there no birth record for him..????..ive heard many times of folk who fathers are not down on the birth certs...its happening in my family research and as you say this makes it impossible to continue with the linage...but i did wonder if you could find out more about your moms dad....
lyn[Skipping Happy]

Hi Astoness - I'm sure I know you from somewhere else? Laugh!!

I've honestly not bothered to try and look into my grandfathers records as yet, as I've not had the time. It is something I will be doing, however.

It probably sounds daft, but I do feel somewhat sterile in finding out such information, as the people who I reckon 'should' know such things - i.e. my grandad himself, etc - are long gone now....... Obviously, people carry out research as a matter of interest for themselves, but I feel for those 'already gone' who I know would have loved to share in such data!! (Me being daft / sentimental again, I'm afraid..... but in being raised by my grandmother, I was instilled with an overwhelming sense of ancestors as real, living people, somehow. She regularly regaled me with tales of different characters - her great-aunt who was born with a terrible heart defect and shouldn't have lived past 14, but managed to last until her early 20's, for example..... She went out with a young chap who worked in a laboratory at Birm. Uni - who had terribly thick glasses, apparently - and she used to argue bitterly about him coming to see her as she knew she was gravely ill and there was no future for them together and so on and so forth!!! Laugh, laugh!!! After she passed away, he used to still come to the house and mope around like a lost puppy and so on).

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas

#11 by Deleted User , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:29 am

Interesting story Nick.

My youngest son is into ths in a big way but it threw up some very difficult things.

My Grandfather my mums dad left them all when they were very young.He went on to have several more children,hard to decide if we should tell my mum this.In the end I let my son decide what to do and he did tell her and my mum and her siblings went to his grave in order to say goodbye,mum decided she did not want to contact her half brothers and sisters.

Sad story.Hate me mum to be sad.

#12 by Nicholas , Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 am

Posted by denise
Interesting story Nick.

My youngest son is into ths in a big way but it threw up some very difficult things.

My Grandfather my mums dad left them all when they were very young.He went on to have several more children,hard to decide if we should tell my mum this.In the end I let my son decide what to do and he did tell her and my mum and her siblings went to his grave in order to say goodbye,mum decided she did not want to contact her half brothers and sisters.

Sad story.Hate me mum to be sad.

I think there are going to be skeletons in every closet Denise, aren't there? Needless to say, if the scenario concerning your grandfather had occurred with an ancestor 150 years ago, everyone would have now laughed and passed him off as a bit of a rogue.... but, with living history, it's a different matter, isn't it. I'm rather blaze' about my parent query - couldn't give a hoot really, apart from as a matter of interest (see if I got my baldness from him, etc!!) - but different people are affected differently, of course. What a vexed situation you're in......

all the best,

Nick

Nicholas

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor