Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Prized Possessions

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Tell us about your favourite possession or nicknack. Be it handed down through generations of your family or purchased at a car boot sale last week.

Make Love, Not War

phil

RE: Prized Possessions

#2 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Not essentially favourites, but these are some of the things I buy at car boots,I collect unusual radios and anything that takes my fancy.
Russian telescope, and 3 radios and a cassette player(coca-cola)

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#3 by Voltman , Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Nice "junk" Signman, I have loads of things that I think are great and no one else would give a second glance at.
Could that telescope have been a gun sight?

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 07.10.2010 | Top

#4 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Not sure VM it has a tripod mount on the bottom.

signman

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:05 pm

As you can imagine in my job I collected many things over the years. Some valuable and some junk. My wife banned me from bringing any more in to the house after a while. One of the first things I did when I retired was to spend about a year selling some of the junk on Ebay for something to do.

I raised quite a little amount of money that way, enough to pay for all our holidays that year.

One job comes to mind was when we cleared the workhouse out at Dudley Rd Hospital. It was like a little prison with cells and all the rest. I found the matrons EPNS tea service and cutlery set. I took them round to the Supplies Officer who gave us the contractor to see if the hospital wanted to keep them but was told to get rid of them. They were all stamped Matron D.R.I which I assume stood for Dudley Rd Infirmary which is what the workhouse became.

We also had to clear a room full of parcels and boxes of clothes. I assume they belonged to people who died in the Infirmary that died there and had no relatives. We also came across some personal possessions such as cheap jewellery though I did find a gold watch and a lovely enamelled silver brooch. I gave the watch to one of the lads but kept the brooch for the wife, she still has it today.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:22 pm | Top

#6 by Deleted User , Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

That is an interesting story Phil.

#7 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:48 pm

It would be interesting to be able to work out the value for all of us of the junk that we have chucked out or given away over the years.
A great interest of mine is antique carpentry tools. I have collected a few over the years. All in good working order and far better quality than most of todays flimsy rubbish. I do enjoy using them and one day I intend to build a tool chest to hold them all. I only ever pay a few pounds for each of them but to me they are priceless. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#8 by Voltman , Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Watches

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#9 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:59 am

Who does ?

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#10 by Voltman , Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 am

I Does. Collect 'em, and restore and repair 'em.

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#11 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:48 am

VM, A bit more boot sale tat.

Attached pictures:
signman

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

John

It's easy to see that you have no wife in your life at the moment. My wife would have been giving me hell about having stuff like that around the house.

This ancient flame cutting torch from B.O.C. is a prime example. I have rescued it from the bin twice. Its solid brass and a real old beauty. Its about two foot long and it must weigh at least 5 lbs. Believe me after a day using this you knew you had been to work. It is now consigned to the garden shed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 am | Top

#13 by Deleted User , Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:05 pm

So interesting to see your goodies.

I have my cross my mum gave me,i have put it on the wall rather than round my neck as it seems nicer there.

My cornish collection of pottery I love.

Beanie Babies,many in bags

Portmerrion china...housed mainly in my caravan

Postcards..small but intereting collection of places I know.

Jim has enoughh books to start a library...........I did manage to persuade him to part with several when we moved but they are still doing a takeover.

Wall pictures,if I see one I like I have to have it.hence many stacked up against the wall as we have run out of wall.........

stuff to do with westies and collies...

Radley Bags..............

#14 by Voltman , Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Zitat von signman
VM, A bit more boot sale tat.

Signman, what was you thinking?
Half a car key?
Not even a decent windup, except perhaps the Lady's watch. And is that a fake roly I see?

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 07.12.2010 | Top

#15 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 pm

VM, Thought that would get you going ha ha, all stuff I picked of the ground when people pack up, never even got around to throwing it away, the rolex was bought for £20 in Spain and has worked for over 20 years, but it does turn your wrist green, the car key is a bicycle lock key.
The coins are from my birth year.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Car Boot Sales & Craft & Antique Fairs

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor