Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Riba Stirling Prize

#1 by astoness , Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:49 pm

The result of the 2014 RIBA Stirling prize, presented to the architect of the building that has made the greatest contribution to the evolution of architecture over the past year, will be announced this evening. The 6 buildings on the short-list are: The Library of Birmingham; London Aquatic Centre; Everyman Theatre Liverpool; London School of Economics Saw Swee Hock Student Centre; The Shard; and Manchester School of Art

NO COMMENT ON BRUMS ENTRY...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 12.09.2014 | Top

RE: RIBA STERLING PRIZE

#2 by Sheldonboy , Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 pm

If I read that bloody Library has won I'm never going to read again.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by astoness , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 pm

nor me [Break PC]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4 by Slow Jo , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:08 pm

It look's like they forgot to take the scaffolding down.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#5 by astoness , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:09 pm

reminds me more of a brillo pad or a pow camp...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6 by Sheldonboy , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:10 pm

As I have said many times Jo, our bloody library looks like a Foreign Legion fort covered in barbed wire.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by Slow Jo , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:11 pm

At least brillo pads are usefull,cant see any use for all that stuck on the outside.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#8 by Sheldonboy , Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:57 pm

A Liverpool theatre won The Riba Sterling prize.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by astoness , Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm

i was just about to post that...cant be any worse than the library...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by mikejee , Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I've only seen a small picture of the outside that was on the RIBA website, and accept that the internal part may have been considered as well as the outside appearence, but thought it was definitely by far the worst looking of the buildings, and made the Birmingham library look quite elegant

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#11 by astoness , Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 am

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #10
I've only seen a small picture of the outside that was on the RIBA website, and accept that the internal part may have been considered as well as the outside appearence, but thought it was definitely by far the worst looking of the buildings, and made the Birmingham library look quite elegant

in that case mike it just goes to show what taste there is in todays architecture then...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#12 by tca , Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:41 pm

i always have a chuckle when i read the posts on buildings, having spend around 40 years dealing with architects, developers and town planners, I have come to think that none of them have any sort of common vision, everyone sees good or bad in every building that I have been involved with. to give you a true story, when i was designing my current house i told the architect that the building beside me was built in1882 it is a four level pub, so I wanted to have a modern version but in keeping with the ols ones, simple> no way, council planners wanted the building to have no relationship with old stuff they wanted something new and up to date, we redrew the plans, council now ok, but the heritage planners now was unhappy, he wanted a mix of the old 1800s style with reflections of the ship building past that the suburb is famous for, redraw, finally they aggree, ! note quite, the town planners now want to argue about the colour schemes, they now want the colour to reflect the seaside, the beach is 5 min walk, so the colours i went with were a light yellow a dark yellow and a charcoal - they asked what was this - I said dry sand, wet sand and seaweed -- they loved it so they are all mad - but i have to say on a personal level , i dont like the livepool place or birmingham library

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor