Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: HARDINGS BAKERY

#16 by toady , Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi

I don't remember Hardings Bakery, I do remember Kunzles cakes yummy, like Phil Hawleys was our local bakery, my husbands Aunt was forewoman and my mother in law also worked there.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi June

So you didn't have to walk up to Hawleys on a Sunday night for a loaf then after Miles's shop had shut. Or did you go down the road to Crezwells. I was speaking to a grandaughter of the Crezwells on another forum. She didn't know her grandfather that well and I told her a few things about him and the shop.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#18 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Phil

I don't remember Crezwells, they must have been down the road by Marshall Street or were they on the corner of Larches Street and Ladypool Road used to get sweets from there on the way to school, we used to go to Wildens next to the Talbot

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi June

Creswells (I think thats the right spelling) were on the corner of Marshall St, opposite the outdoor. I remember Wilden's next to the Talbot. I remember the daughter, can't think of her name I think she was a little older than me.

Do you remember Fred's café on the corner of Kyrwicks Lane. I don't suppose you ever went in there. But old Fred Dawkins was a character. It broke his heart when they closed his café. Another piece of land they did nothing with for about 20 years. They could have left him there it would have done no harm. Fred's was a service to the community all those dinners he used to dish out on the slate until Friday. I'm sure some of his old customers died of malnutrition after he went.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Phil

The name of the daughter was Ann she was a little older than me too, I remember the cafe do you remember Hickmans the chippy I don't suppose you remember the people before they were relatives on my moms side they emigrated to Manchester!

Do you remember Carol Windsor she lived opposite Wildens her dad was a tick tack at the dogs.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi June

Yes I remember icky's the chip shop in Kyrwicks Lane, I don't think I remember the previous people. We tended to use the chippy in Woodfield Rd as we thought they were better chips and there was more choice.

I remember the mens hairdresser just up the road. I remember that David or Ted used to have to drag Ben and me to have our hair cut. We always wanted to go to the stylist on Highgate rd but he charged 6d more.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#22 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Phil

The home made read shop was next door to the barbers and Weymans yard was the other side of the barbers my husband lived in long street.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#23 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:25 pm

Spelling mistake should read Bread shop

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi June

Do you remember Clifford Stevens he lived by you for a while, then they moved round to Long Street in a terrace near the top of the street.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#25 by toady , Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi Phil

I remember Cliff he lived next door to the Stuarts who had twin boys Charles & ? younger than us and two daughters Pamela and Jennifer do you remember them they would be older than us.

I don't recall Cliff leaving to live in Long Street, but there were terraces in that street.

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#26 by colin walker , Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Hope this is not going away from the thread.
Can any ony remeber that brill bakers in hay mills next but one to CH Browns(greengrocers). I think it started with B They sold the best LARDY cakes on this planet. when i worked at CH Browns i had one every day for lunch.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker
Date registered 02.06.2010

#27 by Sheldonboy , Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Colin Iv'e just had a thought. That bakers you asked about, I didn't know it but I know some time ago there was a firm called Baines could it have been one of those. SB

Do not take life too seriously - you are not going to get out of it alive anyway.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#28 by colin walker , Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 pm

HI SB
Not sure but baines doesnt ring any bells. I recently seen a picture but cant remember were.
You know when it sits on the edge of your tongue but just wont click in my head.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker

#29 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Colin

A few doors down from C H Browns was Bragg's Bakers, but next door but one to Browns was a little bakery shop owned by Miss Minne Hannam, could that be the one. It might have had a different name over the door, but she was the owner.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#30 by colin walker , Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Thats the one phil hannams small bakery with ovens in the back. The best ever lardis. i need to find some one who makes them theway hannams did.
colin

colin walker  
colin walker

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
100 years of Hercules Cycles

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor