Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Memories Of Growing Up In Lea Hall

#1 by kimranfarooq , Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi all,

I thought this would a great place to find peoples stories of growing up in Lea Hall. Does anyone have information about Lea Hall, Birmingham to share? I'm really interested in the past of the area and its residents. Have any of the buildings been demolished from when you were a child? If so what what were they and did they have any sort of personal attachment to you? How have the shops changed over time? Have certain industries closed down resulting in loss of jobs? These are just some of the questions I have... any other stories you may have from your childhood, the area and its development over time will be really useful for a university project I am currently undertaking.

Thanks

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq
Date registered 10.08.2014

Last edited 12.09.2014 | Top

RE: Memories of growing up in Lea Hall

#2 by Sheldonboy , Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Quote: kimranfarooq wrote in post #1
Hi all,

I thought this would a great place to find peoples stories of growing up in Lea Hall. Does anyone have information about Lea Hall, Birmingham to share? I'm really interested in the past of the area and its residents. Have any of the buildings been demolished from when you were a child? If so what what were they and did they have any sort of personal attachment to you? How have the shops changed over time? Have certain industries closed down resulting in loss of jobs? These are just some of the questions I have... any other stories you may have from your childhood, the area and its development over time will be really useful for a university project I am currently undertaking.

Thanks

Hi Kimran, yes things have changed, there used to be a pub next to the Village, closed long ago and demolished long ago and replaced by housing. The Lea Tavern was right next to the park. There was a large bus garage that closed some time ago and all crews and services were moved to the new Bordesley Green Depot ( used to belong to Gallaghers construction ).

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by kimranfarooq , Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi again, it's great to be receiving all this information into the past of Lea Hall.
I did come across an article about the closure of the Bus garage being closed whilst doing my research. It's a shame to see such an important amenity of the area being closed after being open for so many years.
I don't suppose you have any past photos of the area? I managed to find some online which I used when walking around Lea Hall. It was interesting comparing some of the streets to the images and seeing the differences.

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

#4 by Sheldonboy , Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:39 pm

No pictures of Lea Hall I am afraid I wouldn't have risked my camera around that area. Sorry

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by Voltman , Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:51 am

Don't forget the road bridge by the railway station was open for traffic until the late seventies.
The gate posts for the manor house "Lea Hall" were still visible on the village side of the tracks until very recently and possibly still are.

There was a temporary library on the land opposite the Royal British Legion Club in Kelynmead Road until about 1970.
It was removed and a row of houses were built on the land.
The Childrens Home behind these houses was built on waste land which had a concrete air raid shelter in one corner.

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#6 by Sheldonboy , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #5
Don't forget the road bridge by the railway station was open for traffic until the late seventies.
The gate posts for the manor house "Lea Hall" were still visible on the village side of the tracks until very recently and possibly still are.

There was a temporary library on the land opposite the Royal British Legion Club in Kelynmead Road until about 1970.
It was removed and a row of houses were built on the land.
The Childrens Home behind these houses was built on waste land which had a concrete air raid shelter in one corner.

All correct Volty, but the Library was there for quite some time, it was a timber built structure and was also something of a community centre, I well remember, I think on Sunday mornings many men with Pigeon baskets where they would be setting them off for racing.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by kimranfarooq , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Hi all, thanks for all this insightful information into Lea Hall's past. Keep it coming! Thanks.

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

#8 by Sheldonboy , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Quote: kimranfarooq wrote in post #7
Hi all, thanks for all this insightful information into Lea Hall's past. Keep it coming! Thanks.

Kimran Voltman would know more than me to be fair he actually lived there. I lived just a few streets away and really knew it more by reputation.
It's a pity you are not researching Yardley a short distance away, it has a very rich history.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by kimranfarooq , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 pm

You've been of great help Graham. It's always interesting and useful to know what people living in the surrounding areas think of Lea Hall.

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

#10 by kimranfarooq , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Voltman, do you know much about the past industries in Lea Hall? I came across 'James Booth and Co', a company brass and copper manufacturing company established in the late 19th century in Kitt's Green. Did you ever work in any industries in the area or do you know anyone who did?
This next question is probably going to sound a bit odd but do you remember any sounds or smells from when you lived in Lea Hall such as the smell of the bakery as you went to work? I am looking into the 'soundscape' and 'smellscape' of Lea Hall.Thanks.

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Kimran the business to which you refer changed to Alcan Booth, and later Alcan. This is still in operation. It was at one time the largest Aluminium smelting plant in Europe. One of it's main products was Aluminium plate used for the skin on aircraft.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by Voltman , Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:35 pm

I only know of Booths as an Aluminium plant, the takeover by Alcan, Aluminium of Canada, was when my dad left as he worked in the extruding division which was moving to Banbury. In the Sixties they did really fantastic children's parties at Christmas with a trip to a pantomime and then a party at Yardley Ex-Serviceman's Club, we all went home with a big bag of goodies.
The plate works stayed in Kitts Green and you knew about it when they dropped a large one as the crashing noise was heard for some distance.
a light aircraft once crashed into one of their roofs.

There wasn't any particular smells I was aware of except perhaps for the occasional smell of Jet A1, Paraffin, from the aircraft. They would also drown out all other sounds and we got used to just stopping mid conversation until the roar had passed over.

I knew the library was timber construction but I never saw it, even though I think I know what it looked like.
I may have seen a photo.

I was born in Handsworth, moved to Yardley then to Lea Hall then back to Yardley.
If I come up with anything of interest I will post it here although it will be random thoughts

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#13 by kimranfarooq , Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 am

It's interesting that the library was a kind of community centre. Was there ever an actual community centre built for the residents in the past?

Whilst visiting Lea Hall and speaking to the staff at 'The Pump', it was clear that Lea Hall is struggling to create a sense of community with its residents. I was just wondering if it has always been like this in Lea Hall - people not wanting to create a strong sense of community?

Are there any other industries/manufacturing companies in Lea Hall that you can think of which still remain now or have been closed?

I was also born in Handsworth and have lived here ever since.

Thanks for all the info

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

#14 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Kimran th Library and the community centre were in the same timber building. It was like a big shed covered in horizontal dark stained planks.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by kimranfarooq , Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm trying to find demographic information on Lea Hall from the Birmingham City Council website but cannot find anything specific to Lea Hall. Is Lea Hall in Yardley or is it a separate area?

kimranfarooq  
kimranfarooq

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Our Memories Of Growing Up

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor