Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

My Article

#1 by astoness , Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

the astonbrook through aston manor is a cracking site where you can send in your memories and photos of growing up and they are put on...for those interested here is my two penneth worth about our nans back to back in paddington st that i sent in ages ago complete with photos of myself our mom and dad and nan and photos of paddington st...

http://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor...ddingtonst.html

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 12.09.2014 | Top

RE: MY ARTICLE

#2 by Slow Jo , Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Some wonderfull memories there lyn ,I remember mom's cast iron mangle in the back yard ,no washing machines in those day's ,it was a days hard work doing the washing for a family then ,did your mom have a rubbing board ,a tub ,and a made to bash the clothes with.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

We have an old cast iron mangle under the rabbit house canopy. I will get a picture when it's light. My wife also has a Washboard a pair of tongs ans a wooden maid and a copper bosher. I hope she never discover washing machines.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by astoness , Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #2
Some wonderfull memories there lyn ,I remember mom's cast iron mangle in the back yard ,no washing machines in those day's ,it was a days hard work doing the washing for a family then ,did your mom have a rubbing board ,a tub ,and a made to bash the clothes with.

jo if you closely of the photo of our dad very bravely i may say picking up our nan you can just make out the mangle in the background next to the brewus...yes i remember the washing board and a big wooden thing to bash the clothes...and clothes tonges...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by Slow Jo , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Can remember dad got mom a washing machine it was a twin tub,with a powered mangle ,she watched it do it's thing,took them out and as she put it ,washed them properly ,didnt use it for weeks after,till dad had a go about it.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#6 by astoness , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #5
Can remember dad got mom a washing machine it was a twin tub,with a powered mangle ,she watched it do it's thing,took them out and as she put it ,washed them properly ,didnt use it for weeks after,till dad had a go about it.

thats because she was used to what she was used to jo...some modern things just did not sit right after years of other ways of washing...when we moved to villa st by the time mom had 8 including her and dad to wash for she had a twin tub...i can still see her pouring the fairy snow flakes powder in...blimey im off on one of me time warps again[Little LOL]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by Slow Jo , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm

I can still see mom with clothes on the rubbing board,and rubbing the green fairy scrubbing soap on them,when she finished washing ,she would rub them with something called snowfire,suppose to ease washday hhands.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo

#8 by astoness , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #7
I can still see mom with clothes on the rubbing board,and rubbing the green fairy scrubbing soap on them,when she finished washing ,she would rub them with something called snowfire,suppose to ease washday hhands.

yep i remember the blocks of soap jo...i can still smell the lifeboy soap and the coal tar one...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by Sheldonboy , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 pm

Don't forget inthe days of the back to back's and the old brew house, there was no electricity. So Lyn had to go down to the river.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by astoness , Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #9
Don't forget inthe days of the back to back's and the old brew house, there was no electricity. So Lyn had to go down to the river.

ha ha very funny[Hammers]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by Cleopatra , Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Mangles were not only used for washing, they became alarms to let you know when the dog got out.

My nan had her mangle in the back yard and used it tie her dog to it when she wanted to clean the house, but did not want him to roam the streets. The dog had other ideas and tried to run out of the yard attached the the mangle. The clanging could be heard streets away. That dog was a real character and I'm still at a loss as to how he managed to drag the thing down the yard after all he was just a mongrel.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

Last edited 09.18.2014 | Top

#12 by mikejee , Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:17 pm

,she would rub them with something called snowfire,suppose to ease washday hhands.

I thought snowfire was green waxy stuff that you used to put on chilblains?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#13 by Voltman , Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:54 am

I didn't know they used to make Crocodiles in Aston.

https://royalsociety.org
http://www.go-astronomy.com
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#14 by Sheldonboy , Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #12
,she would rub them with something called snowfire,suppose to ease washday hhands.

I thought snowfire was green waxy stuff that you used to put on chilblains?

I thought that was Horse Linament

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by mikejee , Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:11 am

Horse linament is a liquid. this was a round lump more solid than vaseline, that you rubbed on

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 09.18.2014 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor