Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Strikes

#1 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 26, 2010 5:11 am

I see the strike culture seems to be coming back, although I expected this in the days of Gordon Brown. British Airways ( the world's favourite luggage losers) have already started. followed by British Telecom, this announced in today's news. (are either of these Chinese owned yet).

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Strikes

#2 by Deleted User , Wed May 26, 2010 9:02 am

You have to support the right to strike,wewill have kids up chimneys again if we do not have rights re employment.

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 26, 2010 9:23 am

SB

I always find that those people who are against strikes are in comfortable secure jobs with good pay. Does that describe your situation SB.

What you describe as "The Strike Culture" is the only way that a working man can get a fair deal from employers. OK at one time the unions were calling the workforce out for silly reasons. But the explanation was simple most of the higher union posts were taken up by communists and other agitators and they had another agenda.

This situation was allowed to develop because the average working man could not be bothered to attend union meetings or stand for office.

I was never in a union for any great length of time and there was never one in my own firm, but I would have never stopped the lads having one if they wanted it.

I have always been and always will be a strong supporter of the unions, because I just cannot think what this country would be today without one. It would be full of people like a certain ex female prime minister of this country and a certain CEO of BA or the High Court Judge who gave judgement against UNITE on a ridiculous technicality.

No not the sort of union bashing world I would want to live in, but I suppose with the Conservatives holding the reins to the country it's all we have to look forward to. Roll on the election next year.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 26, 2010 10:05 am

There is nothing in my post that says I am against striking (for the right reasons).

I was a union rep for thirteen years. In fact if you read any of my previous posts I have critcised our government for years.
The unions should have been more forceful in recent years.
You do not know me. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 05.26.2010 | Top

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 26, 2010 2:08 pm

The unions should have been more forceful in the MT years. But most of the unions and their membership were content to sit back in their nice comfortable and well paid jobs and forget that those high wages and rights were fought for and gotten by the unions.

And when others fought to save their jobs they were content to sit back with the attitude "I'm alright Jack"

They ably assisted MT to dismantle our industry and some are to be held more responsible than her.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm | Top

#6 by Deleted User , Wed May 26, 2010 2:32 pm

I could weep when I think what has happened to us all,remember the workers of old that put everything they had on the line for a better life.

Anyway you know what they say,never discuss..............

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gordon Brown

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor