Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Age Concern Charity

#1 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:03 pm

I was appalled reading a story in The Birmingham Mail (front page) Monday 17th March.
First they state that the Chief executive of Age Concern earns up to £110,000 per year, which is bloody obscene enough then they say that this executive has received a personal loan for £84,000. This charity has shops that people such as you and I take in unwanted items for them to sell, usually just for a pound or two. charity shops are usually staffed by unpaid volunteers giving up their time freely. The boss of this charity is paid over £2000 per week. How many more paid staff do they have? This charity will get no more support from me. SB

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mid...ns-boss-6838840

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 04.28.2014 | Top

RE: AGE CONCERN CHARITY

#2 by mikejee , Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I think most of the big charities have (well) paid organizers. It is a result of the growth of the fundraising industry. You may not know it, but I understand that most of the people who you (keep) meeting who try to persuade you to take out a standing order are just employees paid a commission by a fundraising firm who then take a cut as well. It is usually over a year before any of the money you subscribe benefits the charity.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by astoness , Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm

quite shameful...ive given my time freely and happily working in a PDSA shop..all the staff except for the manager/ess do NOT get paid a penny and the manager/ess only get a living wage...you wouldnt believe just how hard everyone works

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.18.2014 | Top

#4 by Slow Jo , Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm

I always thought they were volunteers,working for the good of the elderly,how wrong can you be.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#5 by astwood , Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #4
I always thought they were volunteers,working for the good of the elderly,how wrong can you be.

My daughter in law is a care worker and she works her socks off

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#6 by Slow Jo , Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 pm

In my reckoning care workers are the unsung hero's of the n h s , and poorly paid for what they do.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#7 by Voltman , Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Being a charity director is a very well paid position.
I won't say job, as they don't actually have to do much.

I remember a TV program where bosses have to go out and do the job of their employees for a day. In what is probably the only episode I ever watched, the boss of the RSPCA turned out to a dog confiscation in his roller while two other employees went in their vans. That was just taking the pee.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#8 by Voltman , Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #2
I think most of the big charities have (well) paid organisers. It is a result of the growth of the fundraising industry. You may not know it, but I understand that most of the people who you (keep) meeting who try to persuade you to take out a standing order are just employees paid a commission by a fundraising firm who then take a cut as well. It is usually over a year before any of the money you subscribe benefits the charity.

I reluctantly know a very distant relation who claims to be a charity director as if he is some big philanthropic hero. On investigation, which I carried out because he makes my flesh creep, I discovered that he actually runs a company which puts thugs on the streets who get people to sign direct debits for any charity that pays him. Nothing charitable in that Rupert, you ridiculously pretentiously named Gobshite.
I believe they are known as chuggers. What they really are is selfish scumbags.

It should be noted that the Swan Shopping Centre always have a load of vaguely similar types at the ready to interrupt your Saturday shop. Even the Cat protection people seem to have given up competing.
Also Morrisons in Sheldon are none too bothered about providing a barrage of charitable demands on their shoppers.
Needless to say, I don't shop at either anymore. Charity is about giving freely, not being mugged at every turn.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 03.19.2014 | Top

#9 by astoness , Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #8
Quote: mikejee wrote in post #2
I think most of the big charities have (well) paid organisers. It is a result of the growth of the fundraising industry. You may not know it, but I understand that most of the people who you (keep) meeting who try to persuade you to take out a standing order are just employees paid a commission by a fundraising firm who then take a cut as well. It is usually over a year before any of the money you subscribe benefits the charity.

I reluctantly know a very distant relation who claims to be a charity director as if he is some big philanthropic hero. On investigation, which I carried out because he makes my flesh creep, I discovered that he actually runs a company which puts thugs on the streets who get people to sign direct debits for any charity that pays him. Nothing charitable in that Rupert, you ridiculously pretentiously named Gobshite.
I believe they are known as chuggers. What they really are is selfish scumbags.

It should be noted that the Swan Shopping Centre always have a load of vaguely similar types at the ready to interrupt your Saturday shop. Even the Cat protection people seem to have given up competing.
Also Morrisons in Sheldon are none too bothered about providing a barrage of charitable demands on their shoppers.
Needless to say, I don't shop at either anymore. Charity is about giving freely, not being mugged at every turn.

well said volty

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor