Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Primrose Hill

#1 by lynne webb , Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Mike, would you be able to pinpoint Primrose Hill for me please. I dont know what area it was or is in but think maybe Dartmouth St way or Nechells. I had rellies born there in around 1850. Thanks.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

RE: Primrose Hill

#2 by mikejee , Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:54 pm

I'm a bit stumped on this one Lynne. I can only find three references to Primrose hill, in the 1845 and 1855 direcyories. both refer to a brickmaker there , John & Henry Edwards in 1845, and Richard Edwards in 1855. It is listed as off Gt Lister St, but the entry for great lister st does not show it as connecting to it, probably indicating that it was a small alley. Cannot at this moment find the site of a brivkmakers in that area, (possibly also a quarry for the clay).Clutching at straws, there is a Richard st off Dartmouth st , and I wonder if at some time the bit of road from the end of Richard st to Gt Lister st was called Primrose hill. Very much a wild guess though. What was the name, just in case we might find it in the census or directories under a different st

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by Voltman , Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:32 pm

There was, and is, a Primrose Hill in Kings Norton.
Bill Dargue refers to one in Nechells .... http://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-g...-hill-nechells/

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 09.26.2013 | Top

#4 by lynne webb , Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Hello Mike, on the census they lived in Dartmouth Street but I've found baptisms at St. James the Less, Nechells and the address is given as Primrose Hill. The rellies name is Edward James and he was a glass blower but working for someone else I would think.
Volty, I would think it was Nechells, Kings Norton's a bit posh for my lot. Thanks for looking both..

lynne webb

#5 by mikejee , Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Lynne
It looks like my guess as to the approximate position of Primrose Hill may be correct. The report below from the Birm Post in 1858 refers to robbers attacking someone in lord St (near richard St, and running off across waste ground in Primrose Hill. I will look and see if there are any further clippings giving any further information.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 09.26.2013 | Top

#6 by lynne webb , Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Thanks Mike that sounds right, must admit I had never heard of it.

lynne webb

#7 by mikejee , Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Lynne
I've just realised I already knew where Primrose hill was, though as a hill, not a street, and it had slipped my mind. Must be getting old ! . Primrose hill farm, at Primrose hill was the site of the original gas works that became Windsor st gas works, very close to the junction of Richard and Upper Windsor St. This leads me to the conclusion that, as the directory says Primrose Hill led off Gt Lister St, at some time Upper Windsor St, or a track on approximately the same site, must have been called Primrose Hill. This would have been pre-1854 as there is a plan of the early gas works in 1854 which names Richard and Upper windsor st.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#8 by lynne webb , Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm

thanks Mike, looks as if it could be under a gas tank then. I can get my bearings now.

lynne webb

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor