Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: TAXIS

#16 by Sheldonboy , Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:10 pm

It would be interesting to know, the Landrover has been one of the worlds most important vehicles, especially in the most inhospitable places, and terrain. SB

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.22.2010 | Top

#17 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:38 pm

The fist Land Rover was built in 1947 based on the American Willy's Jeep. Since then there have been 10 models

Series I
Series II
Series IIA
Series III
Range Rover
Defender
Discovery
Freelander
Rover Sports

I think this is correct.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#18 by Sheldonboy , Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Well done Phil that was quick.

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#19 by Voltman , Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 pm

I drove a landrover once. Not one of these fancy overgrown cars but the real original type.
It was horrific. 50mph felt like 100mph, the windscreen wiper was in manual - I don't think there was a motor and the noise inside would exceed todays H&S limits.
Not the thing for long journeys but it would push a wall over in 1st.

The Defender that Dimbleby drives around the country in looks like a proper bit of kit. I think the old workhorse has come of age.
Interesting to see the Range Rover and it's pretenders in the same list, I suppose they have nowhere else to go.

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#20 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 am

I think I have drove them all except the Sports, and I would tend to agree with VM. Our old LWB pick up was a monster. If you wanted to drive through a gateway to the left of you then you had to go out to the other side of the road. There was no chance of turning sharp corners.

Out of all those I drove I would have to choose the Range Rover as my favourite, but there again it was no work horse was it and the petrol consumption was just beyond imagination.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#21 by paul , Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm

i know a taxi driver well and he had an fx4 to start with and he used to get a lot of airport runs brum and east mids and some times to London
but what he found that after a time the runs st oped he was told that sat in the back of an fx4 for more than an hour your back hurt and your legs went stiff he was told that it was the most uncomfortable ride that you could have so he got rid then the airport runs come back to him

paul  
paul
Date registered 12.31.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
FIRE ENGINES

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor