Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Brums Markets To Be Developed

#1 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:07 am

Great News for the traders if the Councillors can be trusted.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-23151315

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.28.2016 | Top

RE: Brums Markets to be developed

#2 by mikejee , Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:19 am

As you say "if they can be trusted". In Chichester there was a small historic Georgian cornexchange market building which had a number of stalls. this was "improved. Everyone was kicked out for quite a few months, and when the place was reopened the rents were sky high and only "approved" firms could come back in. The old Womens institute disappeared and the ones approved were pretty mediocre . similarly in Leeds the corn exchange , a wonderful building, was "improved2 into a Food venue. Because of the rents (and probably also the greed of the new tenants) the place has been a failure - the "lead" firm was just stopped trading and everyone seems to think it is a mess , though i have not visited for some time so cannot give a personal opinion

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

RE: Brums Markets to be developed

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am

Mike

Birmingham markets committee is well known for the exorbitant rents that it charges and the commercial rate is just unbelievable. If they do renovate the old market site I don't imagine some of the tenants will be returning and those that do you can expect huge price increases from.

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Stabbing in Stirchley

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor