Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: GOOGLE STREET VIEW.

#16 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Yes it's very strange how most of these closed down pubs seem to end up as a pile of ashes. I wonder what the ratio would be to lets say closed down shops which seem to linger on until they fall down.

I wonder how long it will be before the Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park suffers the same fate. After all the cost of reinstating it must be rising daily now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#17 by Voltman , Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 am

Can't say I was aware of this building before now.
Having looked it up I know I must have seen it there.
So how about a nice photo, Photo Phil?

There is a postcard for sale on an auction site but I don't think I will be bidding.
Taken the piccy anyway cos' it ain't copyright to the auction site.

If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.19.2010 | Top

#18 by Voltman , Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:36 am

One thing's for sure, you can't Google walk round it or anywhere near it.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:03 pm

VM

The Golden Lion is a hobby horse of mine, I'm always on about the way it is being allowed the fall to pieces. Many years ago it used to be in Digbeth somewhere opposite the Old Crown.

It was decided to move it to its present site in Cannon Hill Park and over the years it has been used for many purposes such as changing rooms and as a stage for many of the parks events.

Until recent years it was always looked after and maintained, but of late it has just been cordoned off and allowed to crumble. There has been whispers of it being returned to Digbeth but nothing has ever come of it. In a another couple of years the way it is looking it will just fall down and that will be that.

a photo of The Golden Lion in situ in Digbeth, one of it in Cannon Hill Park looking well, the last I took myself last year.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#20 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 pm

What a waste that would be a great asset to Digbeth, or anywhere really.

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:41 pm

It seems that any of our historic buildings that fall into the caring hands of Birmingham City Council are doomed from that day forth. Lets face it they haven't got a very good record have they?

You would think that the National Trust would take it over, but there again they haven't got too good a record either. I withdrew my membership when it became obvious to me that they were more interested in profit than the estates and buildings under their care.

No I'm afraid there is little hope for buildings like these unless they are taken over by smaller trusts that really care about the buildings place in our heritage.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#22 by Voltman , Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:34 am

Good series of photo's phil,

How could they have been so stupid as to rebuild it that close to trees?
It encourages damage from bird droppings and the roots will wreck the foundations.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 03.21.2010 | Top

#23 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:46 pm

It's like the Tower of London, I couldn't believe they built it so close to the Airport.

If only......................

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#24 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:15 am

One things for certain, you can't believe anything these days, have just been onto street view, they have Bloomsbury library labelled as the Dog and Partridge, and St. Mathews church as Bloomsbury library, the mind boggles.

signman

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15 am

John

I've noticed that they rarely get the highlighted landmarks on the map anywhere near the actual location. It's a bit of a bind when you are trying to find a location that is strange to you.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#26 by Voltman , Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am

SB,
In the case of The Golden Lion, I get the impression that the trees were there before the building was reconstructed and if they weren't they could have been prevented.

The Tower of London was of course a complete balls up. William the Conqueror wasn't the brightest jewel with a crown and simply got the scale wrong on his map of Greater London. Once building had begun it was realised that the constant drone of flying machines would become a terrible discomfort to occupiers of the building until the path of the airport runways could be extended in a direction away from the Tower.
At 90ft tall it was not considered to be a danger to overhead traffic so building continued to completion.
Henry the 8th, or so it is said, imposed a night time ban of flying as his guests at the tower were having great difficulty dropping off. This played havoc with eastbound travel until the arrival of a concept known as "Breaking the Rules" which allowed all but the very noisiest of medieval aircraft to leave or depart after the hours of feasting. According to the theory of the expanding universe the tower and the airport are now as far apart as one would expect.

VM

When all around you are losing their heads...... run away.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#27 by Sheldonboy , Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 pm

The first plane crash happened when some king or other chucked a chicken drumstick over his shoulder, which went through a propeller wrecked the engine and the plane came down on Harolds Mead House, killing two goats, three surfs a monk and a serving wench. The pilot landed on his sword circumsising himself and gave the Queen a Tonsilectomy, Historectomy and a bigger bum.

"Tis only the hairs on a Gooseberry, that prevent it from being a grape"

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#28 by Voltman , Wed May 26, 2010 7:21 am

The first plane crash actually happened on September 17, 1908 when Orville Wright crashed a Wrights' Flyer and killed his passenger.
The prop did come off so perhaps there was a drumstick involved.

Here's a link to the story...
http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/a/firstcrash.htm
VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#29 by Voltman , Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#30 by Voltman , Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 am

I have just found this while Google walking. I never expected anything to remain of this staion so I have never shown any interest in it before.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...58.83,,0,-16.31
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Meriden

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor