Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

HS2 News...What a Surprise

#1 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:53 pm

What a great Surprise.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23070506

It'll be another ten billion by the time its finished.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: HS2 News...What a Surprise

#2 by astoness , Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm

no surprise to me SB..i still have my doubts as to if this will still go ahead and wont lose any sleep if it does not..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes I'm sure we are all agog with this most unexpected increase on costs.

phil

#4 by astoness , Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:26 pm

very much the same with the cost of the new central library phil..the city is now planning to sell off some of our buildings to help with the costs which no doubt exceeded the quote...we must be the laughing stock of other cities...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

SB

We are not on our own in getting prices wrong, what about the Millennium Stadium, Wembly. and Olympic Stadium ? Our minuscule overspends are nothing compared to them, anyway HS2 is now't to do with us anyway it's down to London isn't it?

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #5
SB

We are not on our own in getting prices wrong, what about the Millennium Stadium, Wembly. and Olympic Stadium ? Our minuscule overspends are nothing compared to them, anyway HS2 is now't to do with us anyway it's down to London isn't it?

Surprise, this situation is absolutely standard, any public job "just think of a figure and we will square the difference later" its very rare to hear of a big job coming in on budget. When we start talking Millions and Billions over budget the companies concerned should take some of the cost unless there are very good reasons. Its been too easy in the past to hit the public purse. A contractor in Birmingham was found recently to be charging around £1000 a time for planting trees, and there were loads of them.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Whenever I tendered for work. I always made sure that I overestimated and then I added some, because it was a certainty that if you won the contract that you would not get one penny extra. Any unforeseen eventualities had to be included in the contingency amount. The only extras you would get would be new work added to the contract or work that had nor been included in the specifications.

So after saying all that, how the blue blazes do the government and councils now end up paying out all this extra money?

phil

#8 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #7
Whenever I tendered for work. I always made sure that I overestimated and then I added some, because it was a certainty that if you won the contract that you would not get one penny extra. Any unforeseen eventualities had to be included in the contingency amount. The only extras you would get would be new work added to the contract or work that had nor been included in the specifications.

So after saying all that, how the blue blazes do the government and councils now end up paying out all this extra money?

I have to say some of these cases smell like dirty money to me.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Without going into any names the firm that demolished the Bingley Hall Site did it at a price that I thought prohibitive. When nearing completion and being asked why they had not started demolishing the large square tower on the site (the old brewery building I believe) they argued it was not on the spec and therefore not part of the job. As they were on site and set up they were told to get on with it and clear the site and submit their bill. The bill for the clearance of the tower came to more than the bill for the clearance of Bingley Hall.

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor