Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Wonderful job

#1 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 pm

It's nice to know qualifications are really checked well
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22910279

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Wonderful job

#2 by mikejee , Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm not quite clear what his job was, whether he was collecting evidence or working in the lab, but It seems to be a combination of a completely incompetent person who lied about some but not all his qualifications. The latter seems inconceivable for someone working on work such as prosecutions . Certainly for the last years of when i was working in analysis of products we had to be accredited for tests we carried out, and the staff records were recorded and subject to checking at the yearly inspection by an outside organization. Presumably this was not done in this case.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:33 am

Does anybody ever check out qualifications and other garbage that is put on CV's these days? Just before my daughter married my future son in law worked at a little engineering firm in the Newtown area. A low paid job with very few prospects, I told him point blank that if he wanted to marry (especially my daughter) then he needed a much better job. He isn't the brightest of lads but he is hard working and reliable, sadly not of a type that could done any good working for me and I had a rule not to employ any relations on a full time basis.

So I wrote him a completely fictitious CV that was incredible and got him an appointment through an acquaintance at British Leyland Longbridge for a job interview. I schooled him in what to say and do and needless to say he got the job. He soon after that luckily transferred to the Rover at Solihull and has now been there some 25 years or more.

Nobody could have ever checked the qualifications that I had put down on his CV because it was a bigger fairy tale than Snow White.

phil

#4 by mikejee , Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:30 pm

The trouble is Phil, if anyone puts in anything saying a person is no good, they are likely to sue nowadays. most people just write a very formal comment or refuse to give a reference. But something can be read into the way it is put. Before I left Cadburys they were looking for someone to train up to replace me . My boss had the bright idea of trying out someone who had applied for a completely different job. I was asked to interview him at 5 minutes notice. I wasn;t too impressed, but didn't see anything awful . I did know someone at the last place he worked so tried to contact them but they were away. Anyway my boss decided to offer him the job. I assumed that references had been taken up by HR. He arrived , and within a few days I was pulling my hair out. He had claimed experience which he had only slight knowledge of , would spend an hour filling in a report which should have taken 5 mins (including every detail of the calculation on the form in words) and nearly caused one serious accident. Also all the female staff kept clear of him , saying he was a weirdo. I made another attempt to contact where he had worked before and spoke to a colleague of my aquaintance whose response was something like "For God's Sake don't touch him with a bargepole". It turned out that HR had not checked his references, though they said they had at first, and when they did they got a reply "We can confirm that XXX was employed by us between X & Y", which is apparently a textbook reply meaning don't touch him with a bargepole.

On the other hand qualifications should be easily checkable.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 06.15.2013 | Top

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Mike

Luckily whenever I interviewed anybody for a job the criteria was very small and I could usually tell by asking them where they worked and how long they had worked there if they were any good. Anyway everybody was hired on a 28 day trial basis. I have to say that I hired very few people that didn't continue on as full time employees. I don't think I ever saw one CV and the only thing I needed to see were tickets for plant drivers & driving licenses, but all that's changed now you need a ticket for labouring I believe.

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
I thought this was a joke,

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor