Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Hunters Vale, including Hockley Brook

#1 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

Dad lived at house 1 court 2 Hunters Vale, Hockley, from 1932 to 1938...after demolishing some of the old houses round the corner in Villa St new maisonettes were built and dads mom had first refusual of moving out of the court into the new houses and so it was they moved into the upstairs maisonette at No. 51 Villa St right next to Hockley Brook...as you will see from the map dad's old house in Hunters Vale also backed onto Hockley Brook...i popped down their last week to take some pics which I will post after the map which highlights court 2 and the dotted line you see running across is Hockley Brook much of which is now running underground but we can see it next to the maisionettes by looking through a small gap in the red fire door..Villa St to the right of the map and running along the bottom is Farm St so as you can see there were just 2 sides to Hunters Vale...pics to follow.

A link to a bit more info about the brook.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockley_Brook

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.13.2013 | Top

Re: Hunters Vale, including Hockley Brook

#2 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am

This is the upstairs maisonette dad moved into aged about 9 having moved from house 1 court 2 Hunters Vale which were subsequently demolished along with all the other old court houses..not very far to move...behind the fence runs Hockley Brook...the red door you see is not the one where I took the pics of the brook from there is a larger door just round from it.

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Re: Hunters Vale, including Hockley Brook

#3 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Really pleased with how these pics turned out as I had to put my camera through a small gap and hope for the best so here are a couple of pics of the ever flowing Hockley Brook. You can see the fence on the right which is next to the maisonettes.

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

RE: Hunters Vale, including Hockley Brook

#4 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

If you refer to the map I posted turn into Hunters Vale from the Villa St end and walk down on the left hand side...right on the corner was the New Inns pub which along with the houses on that side had the cellars flooded out during the Hockley Brook floods of around 1920 ish and we can see why because just look how close the brook was to the pub..(dotted line denotes Hockley Brook)...here is a rare pic taken when they had to pump out the cellars of the pub and a pic that I took looking at the exact same spot where the pub used to be.

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Hunters Vale looking towards Farm St with the Queens Head pub on right corner....

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6 by astoness , Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Hunters Vale looking towards Villa St...also showing the corner where the New Inns pub used to be..

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor