Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Iconic buildings of Birmingham, some still with us some now gone.

#76 by mikejee , Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Again (and I apologise for mounting my soapbox again), all this arises from having too many people who are not trained properly to do the work, whatever it is. The powers that be want to enable everything to be done by relatively untrained people. For this they devise a long complicated set of forms and procedures that should be unnecessary, are longwinded and inefficient , and , surprise, surprise, generate lots of opportunities for employment of "administrators" , who aren't capable of doing anything useful, but who are overpaid for filling that roll.
Tirade finished.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#77 by Voltman , Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 am

Nice Tirade, well put, Mikejee.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#78 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:21 am

Mike

Don't worry about the soapbox I rarely get down from mine, in fact it's nearly worn out. One last moan V.A.T. what a burden this is on a business. OK we were not a big business so the work entailed with the quarterly returns were not that great. But I suppose the work over the quarter that it entailed would amount to 3 to 5 days for one person.

That totals to roughly 1 month per year, nobody reimburses you for this outlay. The Inland Revenue (Customs & Excise) just sit back and wait for your cheque to hit their doormat.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#79 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Fascinating chat I have read and enjoyed it all, but where do the iconic buildings come in? SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#80 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Well Bingley Hall & the Old Brewery were Iconic Buildings. Anyway I have been into loads of iconic buildings but I have never heard of one coming in anywhere. I certainly wouldn't allow one in my house.

Make Love, Not War

phil

#81 by Voltman , Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 am

I've got an Eiffel Tower in my bedroom.
I know it's froggie but it is iconic.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#82 by Sheldonboy , Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:25 pm

Has it got a working lift?

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#83 by Voltman , Sat May 01, 2010 9:35 am

No, it broke down many years ago.

I have come to realise that it doesn't matter how daft one gets in this place someone will always 'out-daft' you.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.01.2010 | Top

#84 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 01, 2010 11:26 am

Well with all this talk of Towers in the bedroom I thought there was a little bragging going on, but now I am reading of lifts. I realise it was scaffolding towers that were being discussed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#85 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Well as far as I'm concerned Selfridges can now be classed as Iconic, when Microsoft make you a desktop image, YOU'VE ARRIVED.

signman

#86 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm

John

I dislike the Selfridge Building, but it wasn't built with our generation in mind. None of the younger people I have spoke to about it seem to dislike it. I don't think for one moment I am going to like the New construction of New St Station when it is done. But that is not being built with me in mind.

All I have to say is, it is the young people's city now. Let them have a go at it, we had our chance and look at the mess we made of it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#87 by Voltman , Sat May 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Totally irrelevant but I give you,,,...

Microsoft's Windows.

Buenos Aires 2003
VM

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.01.2010 | Top

#88 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm

VM

I don't want it, you can keep it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#89 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Following Phil's comment about not liking the New Street station Design. I will say if the new design was a
Phsychadelic Wigwam it couldn't look any worse than the Concrete toilet that we have now. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#90 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 01, 2010 8:42 pm

SB

I will tell you something about New Street that I don't say about many modern build buildings. It was well built. I have worked in there many times and I will say this. There were not many 9 inch walls that my lads could not knock down with a 14lb sledge hammer. But on all of the party walls we had to demolish when shops were being extended we had to use what they call demolition picks. They are a lighter version of the jack hammer & air compressor tool. They really were built to last.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Bert Hardy

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor