Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Port of Williamstown, Melbourne, Australia

#1 by tca , Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 pm

the port of williamstown, lies the western side of Port Philip Bay just before the start of the river Yarra that runs through the centre of melbourne, its a 18 min train ride or a 15 min car ride to the centre of melb. Willi as its affectionatly known was a swampy area when we (poms) got here and was where the ships used to offload so the cargo could be hauled up the river. Once the idea of melboune was created Willi became the docks, in fact up until about 20 years ago it was considers a rough area sailors, pubs and the seady side of life, we still have a high concentration of pubs, we still build ships (BAE) is only a few hundred metres from my front door where they are building the fourth australian navy destroyer, but they also repair cargo ships as required. Willi is a peninsular so one side we have the docks (i think 13 piers) yacht clubs ect and the other is a very safe beach. Being historic the main street is still very much orginal, and its very hard to get permits to demolish, i was lucky there was a disused wool store on the site were my home stands. 200 metres away is the very first morgue in this state, they used to keep the bodies in the pub cellars but it got out of hand. I love it, when i come home from work as soon as I see the boats and beach its like being on holiday, as usual im waffaling sorry, I will ad a couple of pics - the weather is great we still have seasons, we get the odd very hot day and mid winter its only overnight it gets cold, i wear a short sleave shirt to work every day, that good enough for mr, but i still miss brum

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

RE: Port of Williamstown, Melbourne, Australia

#2 by Deleted User , Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

It is a fantastic place.Great pics.A world away from Brum.

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Solihull

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor